Manager of Finance
Job Close Date:
Penticton, BC, CAN V2A5A9
Penticton, BC, Canada
Min Salary: 125318
Max Salary: 147433
Competitive wages, benefit and pension package. Opportunities for career development and professional advancement, including financial support for professional development. A diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace. Wellness incentives, Time Off in Lieu program, flexible work environments, and Federal and BC statutory holidays.
ATS URL: Manager of Finance - Penticton, BC - City of Penticton Jobs (prevueaps.ca)
Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, healthy waterfront city focused on sustainability, community, and economic opportunity. At the City of Penticton, our goal is to serve our residents, businesses, and visitors through good governance, partnership, and the delivery of effective and community-focused services.
The City of Penticton is looking to fill the full-time permanent position of Manager of Finance in our Finance & Administration division. The Finance and Administration division works as a strategic partner with departments throughout the City to ensure effective delivery of City services and programs by providing financial, human resources, information technology, procurement, and communication and engagement services. Under the leadership of the Director of Finance and Administration, the division is responsible for the overall financial administration of the City, corporate administration, recruitment, retention and development of the City's workforce, maintaining inventory and issuing procurement contracts, managing the City's public communications and community engagement, the delivery of all information technology services and the collection of all City revenues.
The Manager of Finance reports to the Director of Finance and Administration. The Manager of Finance ensures compliance to generally accepted accounting practices and standards, and to the City's policies and bylaws. This position requires the ability to communicate with the public, government staff and present information as needed to elected officials. This position will work with all departments to provide professional expertise, advice and assistance as required.
In recognition of the diverse background of finance and accounting professionals who may be interested in applying for the role, it is noted the successful candidate may be responsible for management, administration, and delivery of any or all of the following financial services depending on their education, experience, and skillset:
- Oversight of accounting information and processes
- Audit preparation
- Budget development
- Financial analysis
- Administration of the City's municipal grant program
- Oversight of property taxation, utility billings and all cash collection processes.
This position assists with financial reporting, provides effective leadership to direct reports, and supervises the day-to-day operations of assigned department staff.
- Manages and is responsible for all year end processes, performing processes as required.
- Manages and is responsible for the execution of the City's interim and year end audit including, but not limited to:
- Liaising with external auditors
- Completion of all required external and internal reporting and filing
- Completed in prescribed form all audited and unaudited financial information
- Manages all general ledger, sub-ledger or external source reconciliations.
- Ensures accounting information is complete, accurate and timely and analyzes departmental financial information and reporting to identify accounting errors and omissions.
- Manages the administration, management and maintenance of the Financial ERP system.
- Oversees the revenue and collections, functions including compliance with financial policies, legislation, bylaws, procedures and regulations.
- Acts as a delegate to the Director of Finance and Administration for CFO duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Advanced abilities with Microsoft Office Professional suite of applications with skills and abilities in MS Excel at an advanced level.
- Proven ability to interpret regulations, legislation, bylaws, contracts and procedures of a diverse nature.
- Proven knowledge of payroll, government requirements and union contracts.
- Proven advanced ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in the exchange of information with City employees and other contacts including, in particular, in difficult high stress situations.
- Proven advanced ability to communicate effectively, both orally, in writing, and during presentations to various stakeholders, including at Council Meetings.
- Thorough working knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Working knowledge of investment and debt management; and applicable legislative/regulatory standards.
- Working knowledge of the Community Charter, related statutes, bylaws, regulations and precedents respecting local governments.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) with a minimum 5 years' accounting and finance experience in a municipal government or a similar environment with progressively complex experience.
- Significant leadership experience in large complex organizations, managing professional staff compliments.
- Previous grant administration experience would be considered an asset.
- Experience managing staff in a unionized environment.
- Valid BC Driver's License, minimum Class 5.
At the City of Penticton, we recognize that great talent and great ideas come from a variety of backgrounds. Tapping into the diversity of our community makes us all stronger and allows us to serve Penticton even better. That's why we welcome all applicants to consider joining our team. We encourage Indigenous persons, people of colour, all genders and expressions, 2SLGBT2QIA+, persons living with disabilities, and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace to apply.
So, if your experience is close to what we're looking for, we would love a chance to talk about working with you. We welcome your cover letter and resume by February 25, 2024.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Manager of Finance
5 years or more
$125,318.00 to $147,433.00 Year
Other trades certificate or diploma
February 12, 2024, 8:22 am
February 25, 2024, 4:30 pm