City of Maple Ridge
Labourer - Horticulture
Status: Temporary Full time
Department: Facilities, Parks, and Properties
Salary: $30.48 per hour
Closing: February 25, 2024
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
We have exciting seasonal Labourer opportunities! Come join our Parks team as part of the horticulture crew. In this role, you will be hands-on with maintenance tasks throughout our municipality. Your responsibilities will include maintaining parks, caring for gardens, and assisting with preparations for special events in parks, and recreational areas. We value enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. Familiarity with a variety of plants, shrubs, trees, and flowers is a plus. Join us in beautifying and enhancing our community spaces!
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Considerable experience in general parks maintenance at the Municipal level.
- Considerable experience in the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work.
- Considerable experience in the operation of turf and non-turf maintenance equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable experience and knowledge of the principle, practices, methods, and material used in landscaping or horticulture.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and materials used in parks and cemetery maintenance and construction work.
- Ability to understand and carry-out oral and written instructions from a supervisor and effectively communicate to fellow employees.
- Considerable skill in the proper and safe operation of a variety of hand and power tools, including small riding and hand mowers, weed eaters, power saws, light duty trucks and other equipment related to the work.
- Ability to keep simple records of the work performed. Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully, courteously, and accurately with the public and other Municipal staff.
- Must show independence of judgement in the performance of duties and work with a minimum of supervision.
- Performs related work as required.
This is a temporary full-time position for approximately six which may be extended or concluded due to unforeseen circumstances.
LICENCES AND CERTIFICATES
Driver’s License (Class 5) valid in the Province of British Columbia
- Completion of grade 12
- Completion of a diploma in Horticulture or certificates or other formal training related to the work.
- Considerable horticulture experience in parks maintenance at the municipal level.
- Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual tasks, including but not limited to operating a variety of equipment and performing functions such as grass cutting, litter control, field maintenance, general parks maintenance, building maintenance, gardening, repairing vandalism, preparing for special events, and perform related unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in parks, cemetery, and recreation areas.
- Able to take direction and assist various tradespeople.
- Able to maintain effective public relations with facility users and the community.
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Labourer - Horticulture
Experience an asset
Remote work unavailable
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Parks & Recreation
Landscaping & Grounds Service
February 8, 2024, 9:20 am
February 25, 2024, 4:30 pm