Be a part of something great!
Truck Driver III
Bulletin File #: 23-U174
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 150,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, municipal pension plan, employee wellness programs and opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Truck Driver III to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Stormwater Department. Reporting to the Stormwater Manager, in this unionized position you will operate tandem axle dump trucks and participate in routine stormwater and construction maintenance tasks on job sites. During winter weather conditions, this position will be on shift work carrying out winter maintenance duties, while ensuring that environment and safe work practices are maintained.
- Operate a heavy truck and vehicles in excess of 18,600 kg (41,000 lbs) G.V.W
- Transport construction/maintenance materials including dirt, sand, gravel, asphalt, and lumber
- Operate trucks with attachments to perform tasks such as plowing snow and salting/sanding streets
- Clean, service and perform minor repairs to trucks as necessary
- Participate in manual or related tasks at job sites while the truck is idle
- Operate a variety of small electric, gas or air powered tools & equipment
- Shift work is a requirement of this position for winter maintenance duties
- Perform related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, with a defensive driving course and training in safe and efficient operation of a wide range of small power tools and equipment or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Thorough knowledge of the safe operation and precautions required in operating heavy vehicles
- Sound knowledge of local geography, designated truck routes and street layout with the Township
- Considerable experience in operating large trucks used in general construction and maintenance work
- Ability to operate heavy trucks safely and efficiently, with attached or auxiliary equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication with internal and external contacts
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and may not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
Valid BC Class 3 with Air Brake Endorsement Driver’s License. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5-year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $34.32 per hour (2023 rates) and $35.69 per hour (2024 rates) plus benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm. In addition, a requirement of this position will include winter maintenance shifts from November 1 – March 31 during winter weather events. Winter maintenance shift patterns are as follows and can be up to 12 hours in duration:
- Morning Shift: 4:00am – 12:30pm
- Day Shift: 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Afternoon Shift: 12:30pm – 9:00pm
The Township of Langley is an equal opportunity employer. If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: November 28, 2023
External closing date for this competition: December 4, 2023
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Truck Driver III
Experience an asset
$34.32 to $35.69 Hour
Other trades certificate or diploma
November 20, 2023, 8:48 am
December 4, 2023, 4:30 pm