ENGINEERING ASSISTANT I(Temporary, Full-time)
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The District of West Vancouver’s Engineering Department is seeking an enthusiastic and hard-working individual to join our team as a temporary full-time Engineering Assistant I in January 2024. Under the direction of the Transportation Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for technical field and office work related to a variety of municipal engineering functions. This is an exciting opportunity for an Engineering student who is looking to enhance their skillset through hands on experience in municipal environment.
The role of the Engineering Assistant I will be to:
· calculate and document sightline issues related to vegetation encroachments;
· collect and analyze data for roads, bike lanes, sidewalks, and multi-use pathways;
· prepare information as required for responses to resident enquiries, requests, and complaints;
· Assist with site inspection for infrastructure works;
· create preliminary concept designs for review;
· conduct preliminary reviews of locations with traffic issues, and report back to the supervisor with findings;
· prepare construction notices and street occupancy permits; and
· perform other related work as required.
The preferred candidate is: enrolled in Applied Science program at UBC or an equivalent program at another educational institution; and able to perform 4 or 8 month work term. The successful candidate will possess:
· Demonstrated knowledge of civil engineering projects and construction methodology;
· Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel;
· Strong customer service skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
· Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
· Access to personal vehicle to commute to work and perform site visits as needed.
· Working knowledge of AutoCAD considered an asset.
The successful candidate is required to supply a Police Information Check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Union (WVMEA) –Temporary, Full-time
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$26.87 per hour (2022 Rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits
11:59 pm on Tuesday, December 5, 2023
Please note that all candidates must apply through the Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted
Engineering Assistant I
Experience an asset
November 17, 2023, 3:30 pm
December 5, 2023, 11:59 pm