Communications Manager - Media & IssuesRequisition ID: 39914
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Communication Manager – Media & Issues is responsible for oversight of the City’s social media channels, delivery of corporate media relations and event support, issues management, and external communication planning for key files.
The Manager leads in the development and implementation of proactive communication programs and strategies from both a corporate and client group perspective. They provide leadership and direction to a team of communications staff to meet emerging needs and support the delivery of the City’s strategic priorities. This position requires a proactive and strategic approach to respond to new developments and demands as they evolve.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position reports to and works closely with the Associate Director, Media & Issues and Communications Lead, FIFA World Cup 26 Vancouver™, and partners with senior leaders across the organization including senior executives, client departments, communications staff and outside contractors. The position also works closely with the Chief Communications Officer on sensitive issues and to support major initiatives.
- Develops, builds and maintains excellent working relationships with the team and across the organization, and maintains an ongoing understanding of the various internal clients and stakeholders.
- A strategic partner to the assigned business units and leads the development of communications strategies addressing complex and varied organizational projects, priorities and issues.
- Ensures that team members understand the departments/organization’s priorities and goals and how their roles link to these priorities and goals.
- Provides leadership, direction and supervision in the development and execution of communications strategies, and uses data to drive decision-making and inform strategic insights.
- Manages budgets and processes to successfully execute initiatives in a timely manner.
- Provides positive leadership and inspires, motivates and guides staff through coaching and ongoing two-way information sharing to discuss policies and administrative issues to solve problems and manage stakeholder relationships.
- Manages cross-functional teams to execute the communications strategies and plans for the City’s major initiatives including the development of tools and tactics.
- Proactively identifies emerging issues and opportunities, and recommends appropriate communications approaches.
- Responsible for the development, handling and distribution of sensitive information to senior management in a timely manner.
- Fosters trust and credibility through clear, accurate, open, timely two-way communication with external audiences.
- Guides the team in delivering cross-corporate media events, overseeing event planning and management.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Communications is preferred and a minimum 8 years of experience in progressively senior communications roles in organizational or internal employee communications portfolio including 5 years’ experience managing employees, project teams and contractors, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge about local government operations and processes
- Extensive knowledge in developing and executing strategic communications plans.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to see the big picture and anticipate emerging issues and trends, and then identify communications strategies and tactics to address them.
- Extensive knowledge of corporate and media issues management.
- Experienced with social media channel strategy and oversight.
- Ability to demonstrate a basic understanding of social media marketing and content strategy development.
- Ability to communicate effectively; foster high standards; coach; inspire and manage multi-disciplinary teams in a fast-paced, performance-focused environment using excellent interpersonal, visual design, presentation and written skills.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects and teams.
- Strong and valued individual contributor as well as an integral collaborative member of the communications team.
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to provide strategic advice to senior executives.
- Ability to make decisions and organize thoughts under time and budget constraints
- Able to diplomatically ask questions, challenge and suggest alternative strategies and approaches.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $106345 to $132936 per year
Application Close: December 3, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Communications Manager - Media & Issues
5 years or more
Remote work available
$106,345.00 to $132,936.00 Year
November 17, 2023, 3:05 pm
December 3, 2023, 4:30 pm