Director, Financial Services
Effective March 2024, approximately
Job Description Under Review
Competition #: 200-COV-23
Closing Date: December 17, 2023
Annual Salary: $150,142.96 – 176,638.78
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position provides strategic leadership and direction for the finance function for the City. Finance functions include budgeting, general accounting, procurement, accounts payable, accounts receivable, disbursements, investments and debt management. This position provides professional advice to senior staff and Council on strategic, technical and policy related matters required as the Chief Financial Officer under the Community Charter.
- Provides strategic advice, counsel and leadership to directors and managers on finance-related matters, referencing legislation, accounting standards, corporate policies and procedures, and best practices.
- Insures investments and borrowing of funds on behalf of the City are administered in accordance with Council policy and legislation.
- Oversees the development, in consultation with the CAO and Division Managers, of the five- year Financial Plan for Council presentation and Council deliberation.
- Oversees the administration of all financial affairs and operations of the City in accordance with the five-year Financial Plan, corporate policies, and legislation.
- Recommends revisions to, or establishment of new policies, procedures and bylaws that support the financial functions of the City.
- Advises Council on Financial affairs related to other jurisdictions with which the City is involved.
- Ensures the establishment of appropriate safeguards over all funds, physical assets, insurance and other property of the City.
- Manage the process for the City’s long-term debt as needed as allowed under applicable legislation.
- Acts as a Signing Officer of the City, for the purpose of binding or obligating the City in connection with its accounts and transactions with the bank or other financial institutions.
- Oversees the preparation of all financial statements, reports, or statistical reports required by other governments or Council.
Manages Business Affairs of the Division:
- Recommends and implements Division goals that support the strategic goals and objectives of Council.
- Reviews, develops and recommends new and revised divisional procedures to respond to changing needs, legislation and/or achieve improvements, cost savings and revenue generation.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the Divisional budget.
- Prepares reports and recommendations to Finance Committee and Council as required by policy and legislation.
- Oversees the management of projects related to financial matters.
- Champions the development or implementation of improved technology systems that enhance the effective and efficient delivery of financial information.
- Insures the City’s procurement policy conforms to changing legislation and legal decisions.
- Provides the administrative function for cemetery transactions for the City.
- Provides for the coordination of liability and property insurance claims for the City.
- Provides for a team environment that enhances the ability of all staff to perform their duties to the best of their skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Responsible for managing the recruitment and performance management of Divisional staff, and makes recommendations regarding promotion/termination of Divisional staff.
- Develops annual performance plans for staff members, provides feedback and coaching to staff, including identifying areas for development.
- Represents the Division in grievances and other labour relations matters as required.
- Insures compliance with Work Safe BC legislation and Corporate Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Insures risk management and liability exposures are addressed and monitored.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assis the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a degree program in Business Administration or equivalent.
- Recognized accounting designation, or equivalent combination of education including a recognized master’s degree in business
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior financial role.
- Demonstrated experience in providing strategic leadership role and managing a finance department.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence, Class 5.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated professional and ethical behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff including those in a union environment.
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic thinking when problem solving for potential solutions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and avoid conflicts of interest.
- Knowledge of legislation related to financial transactions of a municipality.
- Knowledge of public sector accounting standards and principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of enterprise resource programs used for financial planning, reporting and transaction purposes.
- Understanding of project management principals and processes.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to senior staff and Council.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team leader, showing commitment to team success using modern tools, techniques and progressive practices.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
- Experience in a BC municipal environment.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Director, Financial Services
5 years or more
$150,142.96 to $176,638.78 Year
Executive / Administrative Management
November 16, 2023, 8:27 am
December 17, 2023, 4:30 pm