City of Duncan
Public Works Mechanic
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Mechanic. Reporting to the Operations Manager and working under the direction of the Lead Mechanic, the successful candidate will perform a broad range of journey-level trade duties in the maintenance and repair of all equipment in the Public Works Department fleet.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; a satisfactory current driver’s
- profile will be required.
- Must have Air Brakes Endorsement
- Class 1 or 3 Driver’s license would be an asset
- Trades Qualification Certificate, Certificate of Apprenticeship in commercial transport, automotive,
- small engine, and heavy-duty mechanics. Any or all qualifications will be considered.
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience excluding apprenticeship.
- Ability to plan, organize and perform maintenance and repairs on gas and diesel vehicles.
- Ability to use on-line manuals and consult with dealerships for warranty and repair information.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical problems, remove units/parts, inspect for wear or damage, make
- adjustments to ensure serviceability or replace parts.
- Ensure maintenance work and repairs are carried out in accordance with standard practices.
- Ability to weld and fabricate is an asset.
- Perform a variety of repair and maintenance tasks to equipment in the field.
- Ability to work alone and in a team environment.
- Must have sufficient health, physical conditioning, strength, and coordination to permit
- performance of work in all types of weather.
- Successful candidate will be responsible for provision of basic hand tools.
The ideal candidate is organized, takes direction well, and is keen to deliver a high standard of maintenance and repair services to our broad fleet of equipment.
Preference will be given to candidates with a wide range of mechanical experience and associated skills performing all duties required to work in a Fleet Maintenance environment.
The purpose of this position is to assist the Lead Mechanic when breakdowns, maintenance or scheduled repair are required. We guarantee two days a week work and coverage for the lead mechanics’ vacation.
This is a CUPE Union position with a 2023 hourly rate of $ 36.71 plus 12% in lieu of holidays/benefits.
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Please submit your application to the attention of Nathalie Viau, Operations Manager, City Hall, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF is the preferred format). To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- cover letter (include date available);
- résumé detailing relevant work experience and education, including three references; and
- a current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com).
This posting will remain open until filled. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Public Works Mechanic
5 years or more
Remote work unavailable
Other trades certificate or diploma
Mechanics & Maintenance
November 10, 2023, 11:09 am
March 1, 2024, 12:00 pm