Regional District of Mount Waddington
Would you like to be part of a team that is supportive, collaborative, and caring, and is located in the most beautiful region in British Columbia? All you need is the mindset to learn and contribute. Let’s talk!
The position is involved in the planning and development in a local government and performs a variety of planning and development duties including coordinating and processing planning and development applications, interpreting and drafting bylaws, policies and regulations, researching and reporting, crown land tenures, public consultation, and performing related work as assigned. All candidates with varying levels of experiences are welcome, as we can accommodate the needs of the candidates with flexible roles and compensation. 35 hours per week work hours and unionized position.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Manager of Planning or Designate
- Process planning, development & building applications and site inspections.
- Assist in undertaking current and long range planning processes; recommend land use changes; and facilitates community planning processes by coordinating public meetings and receiving input on various planning & development proposals and issues.
- Engage residents and industries for consultation regarding planning, development & parks related inquiries, and provide answers.
- Check various development applications and circulations & referrals for compliance with legislation, bylaws and policies.
- Research and advise the Board and staff on planning & development related policies and issues.
- Respond to complaints regarding land use bylaw infractions.
- Develop and maintain planning, parks and building department databases and filing systems.
- Attend Advisory Planning Commission meetings. Set up and attend Public Hearings.
- Prepare minutes and agendas related to meetings of the Planning Department.
- Represent the Planning Department where required on committees dealing with land use planning issues.
- Draft land use related bylaws and amendments.
- Other duties, as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education requirements are flexible
- A minimum of two years of experience in community and regional planning
- General knowledge of principals of planning, building, and/or engineering in a municipal government context
- General knowledge of land use legislation affecting local government, including the Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Strata Property Act and the Community Charter
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills and knowledge of desktop software, in particular Microsoft Office, excel, in a Windows and network environment; and
- Valid and current Driver's Licence
CRITERIA FOR ADVANCEMENT:
The following five steps are the guidelines how an incumbent may advance to next step pay grade:
- Hired with qualifications listed above.
- Eligible after one year upon demonstrating proficiency in all the duties listed above.
- Upon successful completion of Certificate of Development Approvals through BCIT or equivalent technical training through a recognized educational facility or program, combined with substantial experience in planning, ie. at least two years in local government planning.
- Upon completion of an undergraduate degree in planning or a related field, or a Degree or Diploma in Community/Regional/Rural Planning or a recognized equivalent combination of training and work, subject to managerial review.
- Upon eligibility for acceptance to Planning Institute of BC/ Canadian Institute of Planners.
Please forward resume and cover letter to Shayla Burnham, Executive Assistant via email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include in the Subject Line “RDMW Development Technician Posting”
This posting is open until filled.
For more information, or if you have any technical questions, you are welcome to contact David Kim, CAO via email: email@example.com
2 years to less than 3 years
Other trades certificate or diploma
Planning & Development
November 9, 2023, 8:25 am
December 31, 2023, 5:00 pm
Regional District of Mount Waddington
Port McNeill, BC