Municipality of Crowsnest Pass
Manager of Finance
The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass is Canada's southerly traveled corridor of the Rocky Mountains and is historically known for its scenic land of forests and peaks. Nestled in the southwest corner of Alberta, Crowsnest Pass offers all the amenities you need to live, work and play. Friendly people, good facilities, great restaurants, amazing outdoor recreation and services, make for an excellent quality of life.
The Municipality is recruiting for the newly created role of Manager of Finance. This is an exciting new role with advancement opportunities in a vibrant and growing mountain community. Are you passionate about financial management in local government? Do you have a CPA designation and related experience? If so, keep reading to learn more about the role and we hope to hear from you.
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
REVISION DATE: February 2023
The Manager of Finance is responsible for the professional leadership and managing the operational functions of the Finance department. The Manager will lead the budget process, ensure financial best practice, provide support to departments, and ensure policies and practices are followed. This role has supervisory responsibility for financial positions and supports and provides coverage for the Director of Finance.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in Finance or Accounting or suitable equivalent.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) or working towards designation.
- A minimum of five years of progressive responsible experience in finance, with two of those years in a management capacity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of financial reporting, controls and experience in an accounting environment.
- Competent working knowledge and proficiency of compatible computer systems/software such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Dynamics/Diamond and Questica Budgeting software systems.
- Experience with financial systems including property tax and assessment, utility structures, cash flow, debt, investment, risk management and insurance.
- Municipal experience including competent working knowledge of bylaws, regulations and legislation.
- Management experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience with information and communication system management, procurement, life cycle management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the 3-year budget process and support departments with the development of capital and operating plans relative to 3-year budgeting in collaboration with the Director of Finance.
- Prepare timely financial reporting for departments and Council.
- Supervise and support accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general accounting and reporting functions.
- Analyze and provide recommendations regarding financial reports relative to budget variance and financial forecasting.
- Prepares internal financial procedures to support policy and align with financial best practice and the MGA.
- Assist in the management of treasury functions relating to cash flows, investments, debt, and reserves in accordance with established policies and practices.
- Reviews expenses to ensure compliance to purchasing policy and responsible use of municipal funds, follow up with staff and departments as required.
- Facilitate the year-end financial audit process and liaise with external auditors.
- Facilitates the annual process of reviewing and updating the Fees, Rates and Charges Bylaw.
- Assists with the procurement of banking, auditing, assessment and actuarial services.
- Support day-to-day activities of the warehouse operations and inventory management system.
- Oversee and collaborate with other departments on the application and reporting of grant programs.
- May support the director with asset management or information technology projects.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Assist and supports the Director of Finance and Financial Team in all matters relating to the financial operations of the Municipality in accordance with legislation and established policies and practices.
- Assist with establishing the department business plan and facilitating departmental goals.
- Assist the Director of Finance in providing personnel leadership of the Finance Department including hiring, promoting, succession planning, goal setting, information sharing, training, and performance evaluation.
- Directly supervises the work and activities undertaken by consulting and contract service providers for the Finance Department.
- Responsible to grow and foster lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners and government agencies as related to day-to-day activities.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Leadership Skills: Provides leadership while giving guidance and support. Mentors and is a positive role model who has the ability to communicate potential opportunities to departments while empowering staff and incorporating the views of others.
- Management Skills: A proven record of being able to motivate, plan, direct and evaluate people and activities of a broad based municipal organization. The ability to manage effectively while maintaining a friendly approachable attitude.
- Financial Management: Leads with a strong sense of service delivery while integrating financial planning, budgeting, and management reporting.
- Communication Skills: A clear, concise and positive communicator who is able to build trust through presenting ideas clearly while effectively listening to others. Demonstrates a strong ability to work within a public sector environment and is politically astute.
- Strong Service Delivery: Ability to prioritize and provide excellent service delivery to internal customers such as the Director, CAO and Department Heads by handing concerns, and assisting with budgeting and financial reporting that meets their needs within legislative requirements.
- Organizational Skills: Able to simplify often complex administrative and service matters, an ability to separate important issues and prioritize work initiatives.
- Pragmatic Decision-Maker: Believes in involving people in processes to establish priorities and show sensitivity to changing approaches. Show strong common sense and intuitive judgment abilities.
The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass offers an engaging work environment, competitive salary, paid days off, full benefit package including participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP) defined benefit pension plan.
Please use this link to apply https://MunicipalityofCrowsnestPass.scouterecruit.net/jobs/MCP134
This posting will remain open until the right candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Manager of Finance
5 years or more
November 6, 2023, 3:31 pm
December 31, 2023, 4:30 pm