Coquitlam School District No. 43
Manager of Projects
This position is being advertised internally and externally concurrently.
An exciting opportunity exists at School District 43 (Coquitlam) for Manager of Projects. As the third largest school district in the province, we are located within a 40-minute drive from downtown Vancouver. The school district has a population of 32,000 students in 70+ schools, with approximately 4,300 teaching, administrative, managerial and support staff. Our school district values a coordinated, collaborative approach to working with our students, parents, community partners, the public, and employee groups. As one of Canada’s best employers (Forbes, 2023), School District 43 (Coquitlam) values diversity in the workplace and strives to honour each person’s unique lived experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates with varied backgrounds, cultures, races, abilities, and intersectionality.
The Manager of Projects is responsible for managing the planning, implementation, and completion of all major capital projects, and assigned major maintenance and minor capital projects development, project management, and financial management and accountability for projects.
This is project management work involving technical, contractual, planning, and financial activities required for capital project delivery. The work involves applying project management and technical knowledge to new school construction and major renovation projects and assigned major maintenance projects to reconcile the needs of user groups, the realities of long-term maintenance considerations and the limitations of budgets. The Manager of Projects negotiates fees and construction costs, directs activities of architects, consultants, contractors and liaises with school administrators on behalf of the school board. Financial recordkeeping of individual projects on computer is required. The employee exercises considerable independence of judgment and action to maintain the project budget and schedule for several projects simultaneously. The Manager of Projects reports to the Assistant Director, Capital Projects, and Planning.
- Manages production of contract documentation and administers contracts including correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, notices of changes, change orders, contractual notices, and invoices.
- Liaises with architects, consultants, contractors, municipal authorities, and school administrators to ensure that the interests and needs of the school board are reflected in the final project.
- Supervises one or more Capital Contract Inspectors and/or Capital Projects Coordinators.
- Participates in a consultative process with facility users, designers, and senior management during the planning phase of projects.
- Prepares funding submissions to the ministry, capital planning estimates of future projects and project budgets.
- Manages assigned projects from start to completion ensuring legislative and contract compliance for satisfactory project completion.
- Works closely with the Principal, Facilities Initiatives, on design and other work.
- Carries out periodic field reviews of contract progress to ensure general conformance with the contract documents and prepares progress reports.
- Ensures satisfactory contractor performance; directs the change order process.
- Confirms satisfactory project completion within the authorized budget.
- Provides computerized financial recordkeeping of ongoing projects by reviewing and approving invoices, preparing, and maintaining detailed project cost reports showing commitments, expenditures and available or received funding. Prepares design aid sheets for existing buildings and proposed projects.
- Manages contract and legal dispute processes as required. Provides dispute and claims resolution advice for senior management on legal claims issues. Retains contract lawyers as required to mitigate potential disputes. Resolves contractual issues up to designated level. Recommends and carries out contract termination in cases of unsatisfactory performance.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of construction contract law, CCDC documents, CCAC documents, public tendering practicing, bonding, and surety, bid depository rules and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of up-to-date building technology for architectural, mechanical, electrical, and structural disciplines. Thorough knowledge of materials and methods used in building construction. Considerable knowledge of contracting practices, sub trade management and C.P.M. project scheduling.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications.
- Ability to recognize errors, deficiencies and faulty workmanship of designers and contractors.
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain detailed Critical Path schedules.
- Ability to effectively utilize Windows computers including word processing, spreadsheets, database, and communications software.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, school and maintenance staff, consultants, city inspectors and others.
- Ability to provide technical information and advice in matters relating to major projects.
Required Education and Experience
University graduation in Engineering, Planning or Architecture plus minimum five years supervisory project experience, or Registered Quantity Surveyor with minimum five years project management experience.
Consideration will also be given to a graduate of an Institute of Technology with appropriate experience.
Required Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer, Planner or Architect, or as an Applied Science Technologist in an appropriate discipline.
- Valid B.C. driver’s License. (Business use of personal vehicle may be required)
Applications will be assessed as they are received.
The annual salary range for this position is $98,763 - $123,454 and is complemented with a generous benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan. The successful applicant will be required to successfully complete two criminal record checks.
To apply, (by Friday, December 1, 2023 @ 4:00 pm) please click on the following link and create a user account/profile. https://ejp.sd43.bc.ca/postings/Account/Login Once you have completed your profile you will have access to the job postings.
We appreciate your interest but regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The deliberations of employees, and Committees used to screen and consider job applications, shall be kept in strict confidence, and shall not be disclosed to any person except as required by law. Personal references, recommendations and evaluations collected or generated by Board employees and Committee members as part of the Board’s hiring processes (other than references whose authorship and content is already known to the job applicant) shall be treated as having been supplied in confidence to the Board for the purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.”.
Manager of Projects
5 years or more
$98,763.00 to $123,454.00 Year
No degree, certificate or diploma
Planning & Development
Project & Program Management
November 2, 2023, 4:06 pm
December 1, 2023, 4:00 pm