District of Vanderhoof
Vanderhoof is a friendly and welcoming rural community located in the geographical center of British Columbia and is at the “Heart of it All” when it comes to lifestyle, affordable living, and employment opportunities. With a population base of roughly 4,500, and serving a larger area of nearly 10,000, Vanderhoof is an active community with great indoor/outdoor recreation facilities and trails. Vanderhoof is situated along Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway), and located an hour west of Prince George, BC.
Reporting to the Corporate Officer, the Executive Assistant plays a key role in supporting the day-to-day operation of the Corporate Services Department, providing administrative and clerical support, including handling sensitive political and human resources issues, researching and compiling background information, arranging meetings and appointments, maintaining office administration and records management processes and procedures, responding to and/or redirecting inquiries/communications, prepare and post social media announcements and completing special projects. The Executive Assistant supports Mayor and Council by preparing and distributing agendas; takes minutes at Council meetings; prepares and distributes the minutes; and tracks assignments arising from the meetings.
- Attends Council, Committee, and public meetings
- Prepare, distribute and post agendas and minutes of Council and committee meetings
- Liaises with staff and delegates to prepare content for Council and committee meetings
- Schedule meetings, in multiple formats and complete set-up for meetings
- Order all supplies/food/beverages as needed for meetings
- Arranges business travel logistics, including registrations, flights, accommodations, and transportation and coordinates all expense reconciliations
- Liaison between the public and senior leadership handling inquiries or redirecting inquiries when necessary
- Post agendas and minutes on website
- Provide administrative support to the Chief Administrative Officer and Corporate Officer
- Provide administrative support to Council Committees
- Assists with special events, visits and other meeting arrangements when necessary
- Distribute and track assignments arising from the Council meetings
- Assist in preparing annual meeting calendars and schedules
- Prepare and post website and social media notices
- Assist in researching and drafting bylaws, policies, procedures, and preparing reports for Council consideration
- Ensure standardized formats for agendas/minutes and other documents are followed
- Ensure documentation is filed in accordance with the LGMA Records Management System
- Provide guidance and instruction to staff on records management policies/procedures
- Assist with processing requests for information
- Assist with the organization, conduct and follow-up of municipal elections and referenda
- Assist with preparing the annual report
- Assist in researching and writing grant funding applications on behalf of the District when necessary
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in all matters relating to the office
- Provide administrative support to Human Resources when necessary
- Performs other assigned duties as required QUALIFICATIONS
- Grade 12 graduation
- Certificate in Office Administration
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience of administrative experience supporting senior staff;
- Excellent written and verbal skills with a strong knowledge of business English including sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation;
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office and other common computer programs
- Advanced keyboarding skills;
- Experience in minute taking is desired;
- Exceptional attention to detail, time management and organization skills are considered an asset;
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, working outside of regular hours to attend meetings;
- Experience working in a municipal government environment is desired;
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s license, with clean driver’s abstract; and
- Clear police information search (not required as part of application).
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to provide exceptional customer service to elected officials, staff, and the public.
- Superior time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide work that reflects the highest standards of accuracy and detail.
- Ability to act with tact and discretion around sensitive issues or situations and to maintain strict confidentiality as may be required or appropriate.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent written and non-written communications skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office particularly Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook.
This is an exempt position that offers a competitive wage and attractive benefits package. The incumbent will work a 35-hour workweek based at the District Office.
The District is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We invite all qualified candidates to apply. Please submit your application to APPLY NOW. The following documents must be included:
- Driver’s Abstract
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Experience an asset
Other trades certificate or diploma
September 18, 2023, 4:22 pm
October 18, 2023, 5:00 pm