Civil Engineer I - Project EngineerRequisition ID: 39289
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to Senior Engineer/Project Manager, the Project Engineer is responsible for supporting the delivery of projects and infrastructure with the Northeast False Creek (NEFC) Implementation and Integrated Projects Branch. This position works with City of Vancouver staff from a variety of departments to progress engineering designs, construction planning and implementation related to the delivery of City Engineering assets. Work will include coordinating internal and third party designs; consultancies/contracts; and facilitating with other government agencies, stakeholders, and partners.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the development, monitoring and management of project work plans (scope, budget, schedule, quality, risk, resources) within approved funding and schedule limitations as identified by senior management in the project charter(s).
- Prepares, evaluates and maintains reports on project performance including schedule, scope, invoicing, and change control; critical path tracking; issues, risk, and financial management.
- Build on established partnerships and/or develop partnerships with internal and external stakeholders necessary to successfully deliver on project objectives, ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable.
- Prepare terms of reference for technical consulting services related to civil engineering design and construction; and complete the tendering and selection process.
- Contract administration and management of technical consultants retained to support planning, design and implementation.
- Read, review, interpret and critique engineering designs and specifications related to engineering infrastructure.
- Apply best practice and knowledge of utility design and asset management.
- Represent projects in public engagement processes, including attendance at meetings and workshops.
- Provides project status reports and makes recommendations on items such as scope change or mitigation strategies to Senior Engineers, Branch Manager, and Director of Projects & Development Services.
- Assists with preparing Council reports, memos, presentations and responses to questions from Council members, stakeholders, and the public.
- Implements, ensures compliances and adheres to all departmental Project Management Framework (PMF) standards, guides, processes and templates and implements projects following the departmental project management framework.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related field.
- Registration or eligibility for immediate registration as an Engineer-in-Training or Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- 4 years of experience in project management, engineering, or a related field.
- Strong organizational and time management skills including a demonstrated ability to manage projects and set/meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take on a leadership role and be proactive at resolving project conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Knowledge of civil engineering practices, ability to research, analyze, estimate, and present recommendations to senior management.
- Familiarity with the City’s policies and regulations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage project and program budgets and develop cost recovery models.
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees while respecting the sensitivities and trade-offs of decisions.
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both stakeholders and team members.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise impartial, sound judgement, and resolve conflicts arising within the project team or in interactions with others.
- Ability to converse with, writes reports for, and create/deliver presentations to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support problem solving and planning.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of EGBC’s Professional Governance Act processes or other quality management frameworks.
- Experience with the municipal development approvals process an asset.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2023
Position End Date: November, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-060: $71,810 to $89,772 per annum (EIT) / RNG-080: $92,864 to $116,070 per annum (PEng)
Application Close: September 29th, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Civil Engineer I - Project Engineer
3 years to less than 5 years
Remote work available
$71,810.00 to $116,070.00 Year
September 15, 2023, 4:38 pm
September 29, 2023, 4:30 pm