City of Parksville
Director of Operations
(Full-time, Exempt position)
The City of Parksville is located on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish Nations, home to the Snaw-Naw-As First Nation and the Qualicum First Nation.
Parksville is an active community of urban professionals, families with young children and retirees who have chosen to live in this community for a high quality of life and the region's stunning natural environment. Located on Vancouver Island’s east coast, 12,500 residents call Parksville home. Parksville is a coastal community, which promotes a walkable lifestyle, offers a vast array of outdoor recreation options, and is the gateway to a host of outdoor experiences. We are committed to be the city of choice for current residents and future generations, maintaining a clean, safe, friendly, economically viable and environmentally conscious community.
The City of Parksville has an opening for a Director of Operations. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position is responsible for a broad range of services and capital projects in support of the City’s strategic and operational objectives. Leadership of the Operations department includes ensuring the efficient and sustainable delivery of programs and services for public works, utilities, and parks in adherence to legislative and regulatory requirements. The successful candidate will liaise with multiple levels of government, community members, and other stakeholders regarding the delivery of operational activities.
This position will appeal to a driven professional who understands the complexities of local government and works well in an environment where leadership, innovation, teamwork and sound planning are valued. This position requires strong people management, human resource management skills, and the ability to ensure deficiencies are addressed and performance improvement plans are in place as required.
Responsibilities include both contributing to broad organizational strategy at the senior level and providing oversight and assistance with the day-to-day provision of municipal services. The Director of Operations serves the organization and leads a skilled and diverse team of exempt and unionized employees by demonstrating adherence to legislative and regulatory requirements and industry best practices; adhering to Parksville’s operational guidelines, policies and procedures set out by the CAO and Council; and ensuring that municipal services are delivered in a responsible, ethical and sustainable manner.
The ideal candidate will possess a
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Public Administration or a related field (Master’s level preferred); a Certified Applied Science Technologist Diploma or Professional Civil Engineering Diploma from a recognized educational institution combined with fifteen (15) years of formal municipal management may be considered as an equivalent certification.
- Registered as an Applied Science Technologist with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, in good standing with the EGBC.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible municipal experience, including personnel management in a unionized setting, and high-level experience in managing the operations functions of a local government.
- Possession of a valid B.C. Drivers Licence and clean driving record.
- Board of Examiners Certificate in Local Government Administration is an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is an asset.
- Emergency Management- Incident Command System Certification (or willingness to acquire) is an asset.
The City offers a competitive salary range ($122,000 - $141,000, depending on relevant experience and credentials) and a comprehensive benefits package including an earned day off program upon completion of probation.
To view a complete job description, visit www.parksville.ca. Applicants may apply in confidence by providing a cover letter and current resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This opportunity will remain open until filled. The first screening of applicants will commence on Friday, September 8, 2023.
The City of Parksville thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Full Job Description
Director of Operations
5 years or more
$122,000.00 to $141,000.00 Year
Public Works & Operations
Executive / Administrative Management
September 15, 2023, 1:08 pm
October 13, 2023, 4:30 pm