Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Engineering Technologist- Transportation
STATUS: Temporary Full-Time (TFT)*
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours / week
SALARY: $41.16 - $48.64 per hour (2021 rates) plus benefits
The City of New Westminster has an ambitious Master Transportation Plan, and requires one forward-thinking, motivated and dynamic transportation technologist to help achieve the City’s transportation goals. With a focus on making it safer, more comfortable and more convenient for people of all ages and abilities to walk, ride a bike and take transit in New Westminster, this is a key Transportation Section support role. Your duties will include reviewing traffic management plans and issuing permits for temporary street use (including special events), data collection, management, and analysis, reviewing and responding to public inquiries, performing site inspections, preparing sign/paint plans and conceptual geometric designs of low to medium complexity, supporting project management and implementation, contributing to transportation planning projects, and preparing and maintaining a range of data sets, records, reports, technical analysis, and documentation related to the work.
If you have the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to hear from you:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Engineering Technology, plus related experience, preferably in a municipal transportation setting. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of the City of New Westminster’s 2014 Master Transportation Plan, the City’s multi-modal transportation system, the City’s Bold Steps toward Climate Action, and current municipal transportation principles, standards and methods.
- Knowledge and strong understanding of current transportation design and traffic control guidelines and their applicability to all road users.
- Knowledge of traffic data sets and experience in the preparation or review of transportation studies required for private land development would be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in road safety principles.
- Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the external agencies involved in transportation issues affecting the City.
- Experience in reviewing, commenting on, preparing, and approving traffic management plans for construction and special events on City streets.
- Ability to administer assigned transportation projects, collect, organize, analyze and/or synthesize technical, statistical, financial and related data and information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people at all levels, both inside and outside of the City, and to interact with the public in a professional manner.
- Ability to prepare, read and interpret plans, specifications, contract documents and related material.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, reports, correspondence and various other work-related materials.
- Experience in geometric and sign/pavement marking design using AutoCAD preferred.
- Familiarity with current traffic analysis software such as Synchro would be an asset.
*This is a 2-year term with the possibility of an extension.
Apply online with resume and cover letter in one document at www.newwestcity.ca/employment by September 28, 2023
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land. We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Engineering Technologist - Transportation
Experience an asset
$41.16 to $48.64 Hour
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
September 14, 2023, 4:35 pm
September 28, 2023, 10:00 pm