The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Reporting to the Manager, Plan Review, the Code Engineer provides expert knowledge in support of technical review of designs and specifications for complex buildings in order to determine compliance to the BC Building Code, applicable standards, and the City’s Building Regulation Bylaw. Duties will focus on providing expert evaluation of building systems as presented through applications for permit and advising the management on technical issues and evaluation of alternate solutions. The successful candidate will work with plan review and inspections staff, and professional consultants to develop consistent decisions with respect to interpretations of building regulations. An emphasis on structural engineering expertise is emphasized. For the right candidate there is also considerable opportunity to move into management roles and provide progressive leadership to the department.
- Reviewing applications for code and standards compliance to structural and fire/life safety matters
- Researching technical and code issues, communicating results in writing
- Supporting the Director, Building Approvals with research, report writing, and technical bulletins
- Preparing policy on technical findings and business cases for departmental activities
- Assisting with development of departmental process and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience:
- An Engineering Degree in Structural, Civil or Mechanical Discipline is required. Code engineering experience with high-rise residential construction and fire protection systems, and commercial cooking hood and suppression systems, would be a distinct asset.
- Along with expert working knowledge of the BC Building Code, the candidate should have experience in construction oversight.
- The successful candidate should be registered, or eligible for registration as a professional Engineer in BC.
- Registered as a certified professional from a CP Program would be an asset.
- A valid Class 5 Driver's Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment. Since this is a position that reviews applications for permit, engagement with the public is required. There is expectation for an ability to work collaboratively with applicants through potentially challenging situations with consultants, and applicants.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below:
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=TRQS8M&cws=37&rid=1629.
We are accepting applications until October 3, 2023
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
2 years to less than 3 years
$101,437.00 to $126,797.00 Year
Planning & Development
September 13, 2023, 9:08 am
October 3, 2023, 11:00 pm