Building Code Specialist - Building Review Branch (DBL)Requisition ID: 39232
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is complex advisory work which involves making independent and technical interpretations and decisions on behalf of the Chief Building Official with regard to the Building By-law (code) as it relates to permitting. This position oversees the Certified Professional (CP) process and ensures that all required information is provided by the Professional Engineer/Architect applicant for Building Permit Applications submitted through this technical stream. This position also plans, coordinates and directs the activities of the Project Coordinators engaged in plans examination and permit issuance.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Authorizes Building Permit Issuance (compliance with the Building By-law)
- Comments, interprets and applies the intent and purpose of the Building By-law to projects as required
- Manages Certified Professional projects and completes direct code review of complex projects
- Resolves questions and problems from Professional Engineers and Architects and from novice general public
- Works with CBO staff to provide detailed technical analysis of Alternative Solutions
- Facilitates discussions with design professionals, consultants, contractors and developers regarding the interpretation of various by-laws, codes and guidelines and assisting applicants in understanding the regulations that affect construction and plans approval
- Provides specialized advice and answers technical questions from the City’s Inspection staff, Health Inspectors, Fire staff and Engineering staff
- Supervises and mentors several specialized technical staff (Project Coordinators), providing technical guidance and training; authorizes issuance of their permits
- Advises the CBO’s office on policy and code issues and proposes amendments
- Completes occasional building inspection and site inspection
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Architecture or Civil or Mechanical Engineering with registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or Architect in the province of BC
- Considerable experience in plans examination and interpretation of the Building By-law, BC Building Code, Fire Protection Codes and other relevant codes and standards
- Preference given to those completing the Certified Professionals Program through Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (APEG)
- Complete understanding of intent and purpose of the Building By-law and associated by-laws, codes and standards and their appropriate interpretation
- Familiarity with building design and materials
- Experience in fire protection measures for high buildings
- Leadership, mentoring and supervisory experience
- Superior verbal and written communications skills to deal effectively with the public and design professionals
- Understanding and familiarity of the City of Vancouver Building and Development process
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2023
Position End Date: October, 2026
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $106,345 to $132,936 per annum
Application Close: October 9, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Building Code Specialist - Building Review Branch (DBL)
Experience an asset
Remote work available
$106,345.00 to $132,936.00 Year
Permits & Licences
September 8, 2023, 4:50 pm
October 9, 2023, 4:30 pm