Utility Maintenance Worker II - Ice RinksRequisition ID: 37774
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is accepting applications from qualified individuals to be added to a pool of Utility Maintenance Worker IIs to join our auxiliary team. This role will provide qualified candidates an opportunity to work in and across a diverse portfolio of facilities and spaces in the City, including several 2010 Olympic venues.
Qualified candidates will be assessed on the basis of their skills, knowledge and abilities, and may be selected for an interview should they meet the qualifications and requirements of the position and a vacant opportunity exists.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Utility Maintenance Worker II is responsible for the operational, janitorial and minor maintenance work in the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation ice rink facilities including, the functions related to the operation and service of ice arena surfaces, refrigeration plants and related maintenance and equipment.
The UMW II will also be responsible for performing and coordinating routine janitorial functions including cleaning change rooms and washrooms; washing and waxing floor; replenishing supplies; collecting and transferring refuse and other duties as required.
The successful candidates must be prepared to work in various park and recreation locations within the organization. Candidates must have availability to meet a variety of shift requirements including: morning, day, afternoon, night and weekends.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a recognized certification program in Building Service Work supplemented by technical training related to the work plus sound related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Technical Safety BC Ice Facility Operator Certificate or higher required
- A valid Class 5 Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia required
- Strong knowledge of recreation facility maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety rules and regulations
- Working knowledge of ice rink refrigeration systems.
- Working knowledge of ice-making methods and re-surfacing equipment.
- Working knowledge of the materials, methods and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work.
- Ability to operate ice resurfacing equipment and any other tools or equipment related to the work.
- Ability to prepare simple reports.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public groups and users of the facility to ensure observance of therules and regulations.
- Ability to observe equipment in operation and report on any malfunctions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Good health and strength sufficient to perform a variety of manual tasks in janitorial and building maintenance work.
- Above average manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: September, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $26.87 to $31.56 per hour
Application Close: Open Until Filled
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Utility Maintenance Worker II - Ice Rinks
Experience an asset
Remote work unavailable
$26.87 to $31.56 Hour
Other trades certificate or diploma
Parks & Recreation
September 1, 2023, 4:27 pm
September 29, 2023, 4:30 pm