British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
Who We Are
At BCIT, putting people at the core of everything we do is paramount. This idea is the foundation of BCIT’s People Vision, which describes the Institute’s goals and priorities in respect to our people. In a complex and uncertain world, it’s vital our people feel valued, supported and connected. BCIT champions a culture of innovation and global progress through people’s imagination and creativity. With a competitive compensation package, great work-life balance, and career advancement opportunities, see why we’ve earned the title of one of BC’s Top Employers for over ten years running.
BCIT’s Campus Planning and Facilities department is seeking two (2) regular, full- time (1.0 FTE) HVAC Mechanics. This role carries out planned and emergency breakdown maintenance, repair and installation of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, building automation systems, refrigeration and compressed air systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to trouble calls and takes corrective action, which includes troubleshooting problems on a wide variety of systems. The problems are sometimes difficult to identify, solutions are not standard, and many are emergency calls. Priorities are established by assessing the impact on property and public safety, in cooperation with the Foreman.
- Prepares and completes work orders, including operating, inspecting and repairing heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems and gas-fired equipment to ensure satisfactory operating conditions; lubricating compressors, motors and other moving parts; repairing and maintaining mechanical systems, building automation system (BAS) controls, electrical and electronic instruments and motors downstream of disconnect switches, testing and trouble shooting equipment, handling refrigerants, condensate pumps, humidity and de-humidity pumps, and evaporative equipment.
- Procures and maintains an inventory of relevant parts and supplies. Diagnoses and repairs BAS including reviewing, editing, and creating system programming and graphics. Diagnoses repairs or replaces associated field controllers, input devices and hardware.
- Assists with establishing priorities and requirements for the Preventative Maintenance (PM) Plan, including items that need to be inspected and maintained for regulatory reasons.
- Conducts preventative maintenance on multiple systems which are interconnected, as per the PM Plan. Duties include downloading and/or printing PM work orders, inspecting, identifying deficiencies and taking corrective action. Provides input or guidance to estimate time, labour and materials required to complete renovation, upgrades and repairs, including reviewing project drawings, sketches, and specifications and making recommendations for improvements.
- Communicates with individuals from a variety of departments within BCIT and external contractors brought in to work on systems, including working with difficult or upset clients, describing problems and explaining the interrelation of complex systems.
- Continually learns about advances in system and equipment design, advances in technology through communicating with local suppliers, adapts older systems to work with new technology, components and parts.
- Stays current on new technology and regulatory requirements, including changes to standards and codes related to the profession. Upgrades existing systems to more modern and efficient options in the regular course of work, whenever options are available.
- Prepares drawings, sketches, layout diagrams, and estimates for internal projects and repair troubleshooting work.
- Assists in identifying deficiencies and warranty repairs on externally contracted projects.
- Adheres to and promotes safety standards required by regulatory bodies consistent with the assigned work.
- Procures and maintains an inventory of relevant supplies.
- Makes recommendations and suggestions for improvement to Project Coordinators, engineering consultants and contractors on various building projects on campus.
- Reads thermometer gauges and computer controls; maintains appropriate records, charts, logs and manuals as required by regulatory bodies.
- Coordinates and monitors the work of service contractors to ensure adherence to established standards.
- May have minor supervisory duties when a helper or apprentice is assigned to assist in the work of the mechanic. May be required to act as trade foreman during absences.
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- A valid Trades Qualification or an Interprovincial Trades Ticket (Journeyperson status) plus technical education and/or certifications in the relevant building trades industry, such as HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing with gas A ticket, or steamfitting with gas A ticket.
- Two (2) years general trades experience plus up to four (4) years current relevant experience in the building trades industry. Ability to assess blueprints and make recommendations for specific trade requirements is an asset. Must be able to work independently and the proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve related issues in conjunction with the assigned level of skill, ability and education.
- Understanding of mechanical control systems and demonstrated ability to troubleshoot direct digital control (DDC) systems.
- Building Automation experience with a minimum of four (4) years experience in a commercial/industrial setting.
- Ability to interact with administrative technology (computers, laptops, smartphones… etc.) for applications such as online work order system and email. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to maintain excellent customer service standards.
- Willingness to stay current in the field and to learn on the job is essential. A combination of skills and relevant experience will be considered.
- This position is required to work shifts.
Benefits – Why you’d love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of fifteen days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined benefit pension plan with employer contributions
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT Flexible Learning courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you. Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.
The British Columbia Institute of Technology acknowledges that our campuses are located on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish Nations of xwməθkwəy̓ əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱ wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil- Waututh).
Salary Grade 9; Step 4: $62,941 per annum
Additional Salary Information
Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment. This position is eligible for a temporary allowance of $145 bi-weekly (full-time equivalent) effective your start date until ratification of the next BCIT/BCGEU Support Staff collective agreement. This allowance is not subject to any general wage increases.
Posting Category: Facilities / Trades
School/Service Area: Administrative Services-Facilities
Campus Location: Burnaby campus
Bargaining Unit: BCGEU Support Staff
Job Status: Regular
Number of Vacancies: 2
Anticipated Start Date: 09/05/2023
Competition Number: 22B192
Competition Open Date: 01/14/2023
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Quicklink for Posting: https://careers.bcit.ca/postings/6692
2 years to less than 3 years
Other trades certificate or diploma
HVAC & Refrigeration
August 1, 2023, 1:05 pm
December 31, 2023, 11:00 pm
British Columbia Institute of Technology