Municipality of Crowsnest Pass
Have the last few years had you thinking about a lifestyle change?
The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass is Canada's southerly traveled corridor of the Rocky Mountains and is historically known for its scenic land of forests and peaks. Nestled in the southwest corner of Alberta, Crowsnest Pass offers all the amenities you need to live, work and play.
The Development Officer is responsible for providing administrative and technical support for a variety of functions and duties related to land development within the Municipality for the Development Department.
Education and Experience
This position requires the following minimum qualifications:
- A high school diploma supplemented with two years of post-secondary education in Development and Land Use Planning or related disciplines including completion of Applied Land Use Planning Certificate (ALUP), or equivalent.
- Minimum of three to four years of related municipal government experience in planning and development.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the relevant legislation and regulations in regards to Development & Infrastructure including; the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulations, the Municipal Development Plan, the Land Use Bylaw, & the Engineering Design Standards, as well as other plans and planning studies applicable to the Municipality.
- Processes applications for development permits, business licenses, encroachment agreements, and compliance certificates, along with local and provincial agency referrals, to ensure compliance with all related bylaws and policies.
- Carries out field inspections, including preparing inspection reports, ensuring all relevant information is included with permit applications.
- Participates in the development and revision of statutory documents, plans, bylaws, policies, and agreements relative to planning and development to ensure the Municipality is meeting its current needs regarding planning, development and permitting.
- Provides assistance and information through collaboration with the public to ensure development requirements and processes are known.
- Prepares correspondence to ratepayers and agencies as required.
- Prepares notice of decisions for all permit applications and advertisements as required.
- Reviews and provides recommendation on legal land matters including but not limited to encroachments, transfers and title instruments.
- Prepares reports and facilitates the preparation of meeting agendas and packages for the Municipal Planning Commission and the Municipal Heritage Board.
- Represents the Municipality’s Development & Infrastructure Department at Council meetings, Subdivision and Appeal Board hearings, Municipal Planning Commission meetings, Municipal Heritage Board meetings, and public meetings where appropriate.
- Prepares bylaws and registration for designating a site as a municipal historic resource.
- Ensures follow-up is completed to ensure development permit conditions are met and liaises with in-house and contracted Safety Codes Officers as well as other provincial agencies and authorities to gather appropriate documentation.
- Follows the necessary enforcement steps for all development issues in order to comply with the Land Use Bylaw including; site inspections, violation review, and follow-up communication.
- Enters and maintains all required records including development permits, business licenses, compliance certificates, and encroachment agreements.
- Liaises with and responds professionally and promptly to internal and external customer inquiries regarding planning and development including development permits, land use amendments, and subdivision applications.
- Liaises with the Subdivision Authority as required.
- Liaises with contracted engineering firms on matters relative to planning and development.
- Completes research for development inquiries requiring detailed information to respond with findings and prepare follow-up response and report to the Manager of Development and Trades.
- Assists with budget preparation for the Development Department as required.
- Provides other duties as assigned by the Manager of Development and Trades.
The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass offers a competitive annual salary, LAPP defined benefit pension plan and an employer paid benefits package.
Please use this link to apply through our website: https://www.crowsnestpass.com/living-here/employment-opportunities-page/careers
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
3 years to less than 5 years
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Planning & Development
July 19, 2023, 8:35 am
December 31, 2023, 4:30 pm