Senior Project Controls Integration Lead
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Project Delivery
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Our Project Delivery Department is seeking a Senior Project Controls Integration Lead who will help ensure Project Controls best practices are being effectively implemented on our major programs. This is a rare opportunity to become part of an organization’s Centre of Excellence in Project Controls. The Project Controls Division within Project Delivery will help support the delivery of competitive and predictable planning and execution of all its major projects.
As the regional body responsible for providing critical services to 2.7 million residents – more than half the population of B.C. – Metro Vancouver anticipates over $6 billion in critical projects over the next five years to build, maintain and upgrade the infrastructure that underlies the prosperity and livability of the region. The successful candidate will be part of a team supporting the planning and execution of new or expanded wastewater treatment plants in North Shore, Northwest Langley and Iona, as well the Coquitlam Lake water supply project, the Annacis supply tunnel and the Second Narrows crossing.
You are: An experienced project management leader with experience on complex, large-scale, infrastructure projects.
The Senior Project Controls Integration Lead reports to the Division Manager, Project Controls and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 4B job family.
- Acts as the change catalyst for the Project Controls Division, responsible for engaging, motivating, communicating, and coordinating with program teams to understand and successfully adopt the Metro Vancouver Project Controls best practices.
- Supports the Division Manager, Project Controls, in key initiatives related to work planning, team development, resource management, and strategic communications to senior leadership.
- Leads a highly sophisticated team of professional and/or technical staff in providing oversight on multiple multi- billion dollar programs; provides guidance on all programs for the Metro Vancouver region. Implements best practice policies and procedures in accordance with corporate objectives and applies these practices to major programs.
- Designs and develops training programs in support of major projects to manage overall Project Controls expectations and deliverables. Assesses each project to determine appropriate training and mentoring required to ensure consistent high quality project outcomes.
- Works with the Program Management Consultants (PMC) to ensure all project controls activities including cost estimating, planning & scheduling, cost control, risk management and benchmarking are managed according to Metro Vancouver Project Controls Division best practices. Provides oversight on reviewing progress of the full integrated scope of the project and reports highlights of any major areas of concern for the entire project life cycle (development, operations and decommissioning).
- Coordinate, set-up and participate in independent peer reviews with the major programs, in alignment with the requirements of the Project Controls Plan and Stage Gate process.
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, directing and motivating staff and monitors performance towards corporate objectives; ensures staff adhere to corporate and board policies. Leads, coaches, mentors and develops staff recognizing the importance of training. Resolves technical, operational, or relational issues staff encounter while doing their work.
- Works collaboratively with staff to resolve complex technical, design, operational, or relational issues staff encounter while doing their work. Facilitates information sharing among staff to transfer knowledge and experience and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Establishes effective working relationships with various outside agencies as well as other internal departments. Works collaboratively with departmental staff to deliver on strategic initiatives.
- Upholds Metro Vancouver’s reputation through positive and forthright dealings with other organizations and members of the public. Understands the organizational culture and the processes/mechanisms necessary to attain work objectives.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- A university degree or diploma in a relevant field such as engineering or business. 10 years of recent related experience on major infrastructure projects; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC) is considered an asset but is not a requirement.
- Experience from a management consulting or public sector setting is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience with major capital projects; A highly developed technical skillset including advanced project management knowledge.
- Superior written and oral communication skills including sound report writing and presentation skills. Ability to communicate complex information and implications to diverse audiences. Ability to explain difficult concepts and persuade others to adopt a point of view or way of doing things.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that are consistently complex and time sensitive. Skill in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations including dealings with the public, member municipalities, government agencies and contractors. Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented environment and deal effectively with disagreements and prevent the escalation of conflict.
- Ability to work under broad direction and use significant independent judgement to problem solve when more than one option is possible. Proven ability to take initiative, work with minimal supervision, and effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines. Ability to meet timelines and objectives requiring persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Ability to supervise, coach and guide others while enhancing individual and team effectiveness. Ability to mentor and foster the development of direct reports.
- Ability to manage a complex portfolio of work while establishing ambitious and challenging goals; demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles. Responds to changing priorities due to internal or external pressures resulting in revised schedules and a reallocation of resources.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Visio and Project. Experience using advance analytic tools such as Power BI would be an asset.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 16, 2023.
Senior Project Controls Integration Lead
5 years or more
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 26, 2023, 11:02 am
June 16, 2023, 4:30 pm