The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Trades 2 - Electrician
This is work at the journeyman level involving electrical maintenance, repair, alteration and installation tasks throughout the City. The incumbent exercises considerable independent judgement and action in completing most assignments and may supervise the work of one or more subordinates, as required. Oral and written assignments which may be accompanied by sketches, blueprints or diagrams are received from a superior who reviews work in terms of conformance with required standards and objectives.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling repair and installation jobs.
- Streetlight installation, maintenance and upgrade.
- Maintenance and repair of building generators and backup systems.
- Installation, maintenance and upgrade of pump station systems.
- Maintenance of fire alarm systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City staff, contractors and members of the public.
- Thorough knowledge of the standard methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in electrical maintenance and construction work.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and necessary safety precautions involved in such electrical work.
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable bylaws and rules and regulations governing the electrical work performed.
- Ability to perform a variety of skilled electrical tasks with minimal supervision including: troubleshooting, electrical control equipment, motor control centers, street, park and building lighting.
- Ability to supervise one or more unskilled or semi-skilled subordinates, as required.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and work from sketches, blueprints, schematics and diagrams.
- Ability to maintain records, estimate materials required and requisition parts and materials, as required.
- Knowledge in the workings of PLCs and VFDs
- Skill in the use and care of tools, materials and equipment used in electrical work.
- Ability to successfully clear a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses related to the work plus completion of a recognized apprenticeship in the trade
- Minimum 2 years related experience as a journeyman electrician; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
Licences, Certificates and Registrations:
- Valid B.C. Trade or Inter-provincial Red Seal Certification (Electrician)
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia
Combination of routine light and heavy physical effort required. Frequent visual effort, manual dexterity and mental concentration required. Frequent exposure to live electrical wiring.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below:
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=TRQS8M&cws=37&rid=1494
We are accepting applications until June 14, 2023
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Trades 2 - Electrician
2 years to less than 3 years
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 25, 2023, 10:06 am
June 14, 2023, 11:00 pm
City of Richmond