Engineering Assistant IV (Sewers Utility Drafting Supervisor)Requisition ID: 38358
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, the Engineering Assistant IV is responsible for supervising the Sewers utility drafting team and will oversee, direct, coach and mentor staff in their daily activities. The drafting team supports Sewers Design and Sewers Operations in creating and managing accurate sewer infrastructure drawings and as-built information, completing mainline sewers extensions, completing utility plan reviews as required, updating GIS/AutoCAD/Topobase/Civil 3D asset information and maintaining drafting standards.
The Engineering Assistant IV also works with groups across the department, including Sewer Operations, Water Design, Integrated Sewer & Drainage Planning, Utilities Management, and other external entities such as 3rd party utilities and Metro Vancouver.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the recruitment, mentoring, training and resource management of the drafting staff within the Sewers & Drainage Design Branch
- Generates work assignments, provide technical support, lead and supervise staff
- Receives, assigns, monitors and tracks all incoming drafting requests to the branch
- Provides training on software applications used by the drafting group such as Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Hansen, Posse, ArcGIS, and Topobase.
- Creates and updates Sewer drafting standards/processes to meet branch needs
- Reviews and provides comments to IT and/or Systems Analyst for updates to Civil 3D, AutoCAD, GIS (Topobase/VanMap), Hansen and provide user acceptance testing
- Completes and supervises the creation of sewer design construction drawings (e.g. mainline sewers and sewer extensions) using Civil 3D/GIS/AutoCAD/Topobase and departmental paper records and electronic databases and coordinating with Survey to confirm site information, ordering test hole and acquiring crossing permits from outside utilities.
- Completes and supervises the creation of utility crossing permit applications (e.g. High Voltage and High Pressure Gas), sewer repair drawings, exposure package drawings, connection details, catch basin and CB lead drawings, Metro Vancouver tie-in permit applications, etc.
- Completes and supervises the updating of existing GIS data, entering as-built information and correcting integration errors
- Manages, assigns and provides training on third party utility plan reviews for COV owned and 3rd party owned assets
- Coordinate utility plan reviews for the on-going sewer design projects and elevates critical/contentious conflicts to Engineers
- Researches and provides technical information regarding sewer infrastructure for the public, city staff and private companies, such as GIS cuts, Digital as-builts (pdf, dwg, etc.), scanned hardcopy records (e.g. Plan profiles, wye sheets, DB drawings) and service connection reports from Hansen, SIS, tracker
- Reviews external designs for compliance with drafting standards and provide comments.
- Undertakes related field work, as necessary
- Performs other technical duties required to meet the operational needs of the Sewers branch
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with advanced technical courses in Hydraulics, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS and Survey or other relevant area of study plus considerable experience in related work or university graduation in Civil Engineering or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of surveyor methods and techniques.
- Sound knowledge of municipal design and construction of sewer systems.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Skills in preparing construction drawings and designs for utilities or other engineering projects using Civil 3D and AutoCAD.
- Skills in Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Topobase, Hansen, and GIS.
- Ability to work with and provide input into branch process changes and computer application development.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and problem solve with accuracy in a technical environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to supervise a team, direct employees and create/monitor work plans.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relations with both internal and external contacts.
- Ability to meet tight time lines in a multi-task environment.
- Ability to meet transportation requirements.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2023
Position End Date: December 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $40.29 to $47.57 per hour
Application Close: June 3, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Engineering Assistant IV (Sewers Utility Drafting Supervisor)
Experience an asset
$40.29 to $47.57 Hour
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
May 24, 2023, 2:39 pm
June 3, 2023, 11:59 pm
City of Vancouver