SUPERVISOR – ROADS
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The Engineering Construction Department is seeking a forward thinking and progressive permanent full-time Supervisor, Roads. Reporting to the Manager, Engineering Construction, this position will be responsible for:
- Planning, coordinating, and supervising, through forepersons or contractors, the execution of roads maintenance, pavement repair, sidewalk maintenance/repair, and winter maintenance work;
- Organizes and schedules routine work, participates in project planning and management, and liaise with Municipal Staff, community group, and members of the public;
- Provides project management plans that include full details for project implementation, project scheduling, pre-job preparation requirements, coordination with other departments, internal and / or contracted labour needs, and internal and / or hired equipment needs;
- Providing supervisory leadership by assisting and coaching field staff in the resolution of work-related issues, conducting routine employee evaluations, and maintaining daily timesheets and producing reports pertaining to employee time and attendance;
- Assisting the Engineering Construction Manager in absentee management, implementing modified return to work programs for staff, and acting as Manager during pre-planned absences.
- Providing technical expertise and inspecting work to ensure conformity to specifications, schedules, budgets, and safety regulations;
- Receiving and investigating complaints, determining responsibilities, advising complainants, and initiating effective remedial actions;
- Reviewing the requirements for equipment, staff, materials and tools, and allocating them appropriately to projects;
- Prepare, review, and finalize work order documentation and reporting within the District’s computerized maintenance management system, Maintenance Connection;
- Working with Engineering Support Services to generate, manage, and schedule work orders via Maintenance Connection.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Class 5 Driver’s License for the Province of B.C.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus 5 years related public works experience, including supervisory experience
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Budget/Finance training & experience
- Computer experience (Maintenance Connection, JD Edwards, Microsoft Office Suite) an asset
- Considerable knowledge of Health & Safety Regulations Education in Road Building, Public Works Supervisor, or other related programs.
The successful candidate will be required to supply a police information check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the class specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department and on WestNet.
Union (WVMEA) – Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Starting Rate of Pay:
$40.33 per hour (2022 Rates)
(This position has a pay scale with 3 steps which increase based on qualification within the classification)
11:59 p.m. on June 7, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted
Experience an asset
West Vancouver, BC
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 24, 2023, 1:39 pm
June 7, 2023, 11:59 pm
District of West Vancouver