City of Penticton
Parks Maintenance II
Employment Type: Seasonal
Location: Penticton, BC, CA
Apply URL: https://penticton.prevueaps.ca/jobs/20536.html
Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, healthy waterfront city focused on sustainability, community, and economic opportunity. At the City of Penticton, our goal is to serve our residents, businesses, and visitors through good governance, partnership, and the delivery of effective and community-focused services.
The City of Penticton is looking to fill the position of Parks Maintenance II (Seasonal) in our Parks Department. The Parks branch of Public Works is responsible for the development, operation, and maintenance of the parks, beaches, sports fields, trails, and cemeteries within our community.
Reporting to the Parks Supervisor, the Parks Maintenance II performs a variety of tasks in the day-to-day preparation and maintenance of sports fields, parks, cemetery and green spaces within the City of Penticton. Duties will include operating various equipment and vehicles, and performing maintenance and construction duties relating to municipal parks operations. This position may include weekend work.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- The installation, maintenance, inspection, and repair of playground equipment; sports fields, parks, green spaces, cemetery, parks structures.
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs to Parks equipment and fixtures, such as picnic tables, life rafts, buoys and outdoor recreation facilities.
- Operates equipment as assigned in a safe and efficient manner; including ride on mower, chain saw, light tractor and attachments, forklift, trucks (15,000 - 24,000 G.V.W. single axle); jack hammer, compressor, vibrating hand roller, tamping machine, portable pump, cement mixer and sidewalk snow blower.
- Operates various hand tools, such as weedeaters, edgers, lawn mowers, etc.
- Performs routine inspection of equipment, including checking engine oil hydraulic oil, tires, lights, fan belts, water, etc. and reports equipment problems requiring mechanical servicing as required.
- Monitors operating hours of equipment and requests routine lubrication as required.
- Report maintenance and service requirements to the Foreman.
- Assists Parks irrigation crews in the installation, maintenance and winterizing of all underground irrigation systems.
- Performs related work and operates related equipment as required.
Required Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Necessary knowledge and experience of parks operations, general construction of underground irrigation systems or landscape gardening.
- Knowledge and ability in the operation of small hand tools and equipment (as noted) in a safe and efficient manner.
- Necessary knowledge of safe work procedures required to assure employee and public safety.
- Good manual dexterity in demonstrative mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to perform heavy manual work outside, in all types of weather conditions and in the presence of crowds.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact in the exchange of information with other City employees, the employees of private companies and members of the public.
- Ability to exercise independence of judgement and action in the operation of the equipment and completion of assigned tasks.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Completion of senior secondary school education.
- Minimum of 2 years' related experience preferred.
- B.C. Driver's Licence, minimum Class 5 with Air Brake Endorsement.
- Pesticide Applicator Certificate would be considered an asset.
At the City of Penticton, we recognize that great talent and great ideas come from a variety of backgrounds. Tapping into the diversity of our community makes us all stronger and allows us to serve Penticton even better.
That's why we welcome all applicants to consider joining our team. We encourage Indigenous persons, people of colour, all genders and expressions, 2SLGBT2QIA+, persons living with disabilities, and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace to apply.
So, if your experience is close to what we're looking for, we would love a chance to talk about working with you. We welcome your cover letter and resume by June 4, 2023.
Full-time Seasonal (40 hours per week)
$26.98 - $29.93 per hour (Pay Grade 6, CUPE)
Attractive benefits, vacation and pension package
Apply at https://penticton.prevueaps.ca/jobs/20536.html
Parks Maintenance II
2 years to less than 3 years
$26.98 to $29.93 Hour
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
May 24, 2023, 1:14 pm
June 4, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Penticton