City of Prince Rupert
Posting Title: Gardener – E978OP23
Department: Operations Department
Closing: June 8, 2023
Pay Rate: $43.18
Hours: Full Time. 40 hours per week. 8 hours per day between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, with a ½ hour unpaid meal break
Union/Exempt: CUPE Local 105
Reporting to Operations Management, the successful candidate will be a skilled horticulturist who is responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of parks and municipal property. This position is responsible for purchasing, design, install and maintain flower beds, landscaping, weed and pest control, plant care and turf maintenance. You will plan, organize and supervise a small seasonal team of employees in delivering gardening, lawn care and landscaping excellence. This is an attendance sensitive position. This position requires a self-starter who must meet the physical demands of the position, have the ability to support others on the jobsite and comply with safe work practices.
In order to be considered for this position you must have the following:
- Grade 12 or GED;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence (Driver’s Abstract required);
- Completion of 2-year Horticultural Diploma or completion of 4-year BC Trades Qualification in Landscape Horticulture;
- BC Pesticide Applicator Certificate;
- Must be able to obtain a RCMP Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector Check. Results of which will be reviewed by the City for employment;
- Basic understanding of inventory and purchasing of nursery related stock; and,
- Minimum 2-year experience practical horticultural experience in Municipal parks or landscape construction and maintenance.
Will be required to obtain within 2 years:
- Tree Risk Assessment Certification;
- Traffic Control Certification;
- Emergency First Aid (Level 1); and
- WHMIS Certification.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Able to follow safe work practices;
- Knowledge of Public Works maintenance and construction practices, which includes the use of equipment, materials and methods used in maintenance, construction and repair activities of municipal works including, but not limited to, Utilities, Roads, Sanitation, Cemetery and Parks systems;
- Experience and understanding in the proper and safe operation of tools and equipment, such as but not limited to, mowers (including ride on mowers), tractors, pumps, hand tools, rakes, grinders, shovels, pick, broom, weed eaters, litter grasper, and gas, diesel, electric or air powered tools required to complete the assigned tasks;
- Ability to perform labouring in and around vehicles, equipment and pedestrian traffic;
- Identification of noxious weeds/plants and eradication techniques or options;
- Considerable knowledge of the common and botanical names of a wide variety of plants, shrubs, trees and flowers is required as well as related insects, parasites and fungi that destroy plant life and of the treatment methods used for their control;
- Provide training, technical guidance, leadership, motivation, coaching, instruction and direction of assigned work crews;
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and accurately in both verbal and in writing;
- Good working knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Office Software, Outlook and Word);
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment and accomplish tasks and assignments;
- Ensure personal and co-worker safety by closely following policies, procedures and safety regulations;
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and accurately with the Public and co-workers;
- Knowledge of WorkSafe BC Rules and Regulations;
- In the off season you may be assigned to other sectors, such as but not limited to snow & ice control, cemetery services, and pathway maintenance;
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions;
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision is essential; and,
- Other duties as required including manual labour.
- Able to perform heavy manual labour in all weather conditions;
- This position is physically strenuous and demanding at times, which requires the employee to be in good physical condition;
- Clean shaven as dictated by Worksafe BC; and,
- Heavy lifting, pulling and managing equipment/objects are part of the assigned tasks. Employees must be able to handle weight up to 100lbs and able to lift 40 lb.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Department
City of Prince Rupert | Operations Department
424 3rd Avenue West, Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1L7
Email (pdf form): firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: June 8, 2023.
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
2 years to less than 3 years
Prince Rupert, BC
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 24, 2023, 11:33 am
June 8, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Prince Rupert