Administrative Professional (Program Assistant I)
Position Status: Full Time-Temporary (This position is to last not later than January 12, 2024)
Department: Regional Planning & Housing Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG T17 $2,070.60 - $2,433.10 bi-weekly
Our Regional Planning & Housing Services Department is seeking an Administrative Professional (Program Assistant I) who will provide support to our Tenant Programs, Services and Office Administration teams.
You are: You are approachable, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, are organized, detail-oriented, dependable, and reliable, personally invested in supporting others and align with our vision of excellence in Tenant Services.
- Assists in coordinating and facilitating the Division's activities related to legislative mandates and services; tracks the processing of permits, approvals, and orders; advises staff of pending deadlines and information requirements, keeps senior staff informed of status of various activities; coordinates efforts to resolve issues of nonpayment of fees or appeals/reviews of fee assessments; and maintains and prepares timesheets for department staff.
- Posts, compiles, checks, processes, maintains, and controls a variety of records, files, and statistics related to departmental operations; reconciles and balances complex activity control information requiring procedural determinations; performs non complex calculations as required; generates lists, invoices, and other information from databases and spreadsheets, identifies unutilized project resources and brings to the attention of a superior; monitors charges assessed for activities; and issues payments, purchase orders and requisitions as required.
- May supervise the work of one or more subordinates engaged in clerical and office support tasks and request temporary clerical assistance as required.
- Develops, and upon approval, implements new and/or improved office methods and procedures to increase efficiency and accommodate department requirements and work schedules; prepares and maintains documentation on current and new procedures.
- Composes non routine correspondence, as required; types, edits and formats a variety of material including reports, correspondence, agendas, notices, permits and other documents.
- Provides information and assistance to staff and the public on a variety of matters pertaining to departmental operations, procedures, and services; handles inquiries requiring explanation of rules, regulations and procedures applicable to the work of the division where a variety of data is required to answer or resolve complaints or related matters; circulates documents and applications to required agencies and follows up on status of same.
- Assists in planning and arranging logistics related to committees, information meetings, seminars, events and workshops; gathers, organizes, posts and distributes materials; attends meetings, takes minutes or carries out action items and assignments from meetings as required; obtains information from external sources on assigned projects; researches file documentation; and follows up on phone and written information inquiries.
- Monitors divisional administrative budget expenditures and checks that expenditures have been allocated to appropriate accounts; investigates variances between budgeted and actual expenditures and takes corrective action or notifies superior of potential cost over runs.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by business, administrative and computer courses, preferably completion of a certificate program in office or business administration, plus considerable related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions, regulations, and procedures governing divisional activities as related to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures and of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic and technical terminology applicable to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of computer applications as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the organization and functions of the department and related Metro Vancouver Regional District departments.
- Ability to assist in the coordination of divisional activities and to assess and act upon information requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to develop and implement upon approval new and/or revised work methods and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of contacts, provide information and assistance and function effectively while dealing with contentious matters.
- Ability to arrange meetings, prepare agendas, take minutes, and follow up on actions from meetings.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise and check the work of a small group of subordinates engaged in clerical and office support tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to compile, maintain, and control a variety of records, reports, and files, to compose non routine correspondence, and type a variety of material.
- Ability to operate office equipment and computer applications and to develop and maintain databases, spreadsheets and other computer office support tools.
- Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 7, 2023.
Administrative Professional (Program Assistant I)
Experience an asset
$2,070.60 to $2,433.10 Bi-Weekly
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
May 24, 2023, 10:30 am
June 7, 2023, 4:30 pm