Building Service Worker
Up to eight (8) positions
Internal applicants – May 31, 2023
External applicants – June 7, 2023
Rate of Pay:
$17.85 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
1 – Schedule C (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation Operations or the Manager, Recreation Facilities, and under the guidance of the Arena Attendant or Custodian on duty, this position provides support to Arena Attendants and Custodians where additional assistance is required with the operation of facilities for seasonal work, programs, events and rentals.
- Assists in maintaining clean, tidy facilities and public spaces before, during and after programs, events and rentals.
- Sweeps, vacuums, washes, and mops floors.
- Assists with stripping, waxing and polishing floors.
- Cleans dressing rooms, showers and washrooms.
- Washes walls, cleans windows and arena glass.
- Picks up trash, changes, and disposes of, garbage bags.
- Restocks dispensers in washrooms and change rooms.
- Sweeps sidewalks, clears snow as required.
- Assists in the set up and take down of equipment such as portable floors, stages, draping, tables and chairs.
- Assists in the removal or installation of retractable seating, hockey boards and glass.
- Assists with the conversion of dry floors and ice sheets, including assisting making ice.
- Assists in transporting program, event, and rental equipment between required locations.
- Assists with seasonal work as required.
- Effectively communicates and exchanges information with co-workers both verbally and in writing.
- Irregular shift work including evenings and weekends is required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Current B.C. Driver's Licence.
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform manual work such as cleaning, setting up and taking down equipment, shoveling snow and sustain the physical demands of the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate with coworkers and the public as required.
- No experience is required. Training will be provided.
- Able to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Building Service Worker Certificate or cleaning course.
- WHMIS certificate.
- Lift Truck Certification (formerly Forklift Certification)
- Proficient knowledge of janitorial equipment and procedures.
- Able to efficiently operate light equipment including, but not limited to a wet dry vacuum, floor scrubber, snow blower, leaf blower and ride on tractor.
- Previous building conversion experience.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
- Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
- This position may be considered as a Development Opportunity, pursuant to Article 9.03 of the CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Building Service Worker
Experience an asset
No degree, certificate or diploma
May 24, 2023, 8:28 am
June 7, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vernon