Lifeguard IRequisition ID: 38473
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Outdoor Pools and Beaches
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is inviting applications from interested and qualified candidates for the summer intake of Lifeguard I employees for various outdoor pools and beaches in Vancouver. All shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an aquatic screening assessment. Candidates must e-mail their certifications to email@example.com in addition to this application in order to be considered.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing general lifeguard duties under the direction of a supervisor, including rowboats and foot patrols
- Supervising and promoting safety and order on public beaches/outdoor pools
- Performing assigned duties to prevent loss of life and damage to property
- Performing lookout duties and administering first aid, if and when required
- Inspecting facilities/vessels for safety equipment
- Patrols and/or scans assigned swimming area.
- Makes rescues and renders assistance to bathers in difficulty.
- Administers resuscitation and first aid treatments.
- Checks lifeguard equipment to ensure proper condition and keeps same in readiness at all times.
- Promotes water and beach safety practices.
- Checks beach and pool equipment and areas for condition and cleanliness.
- Performs a variety of tasks such as removing glass, seaweed, and driftwood from beach area, emptying garbage containers, erecting or resetting beach signs and ensuring the cleanliness of the bathhouse and adjacent area.
- Performing other related work, as required
The successful candidate must possess the following current and valid certificates:
- National Lifeguard Pool certification
- National Lifeguard Waterfront certification*
- CPR Basic Rescuer “C” Certificate
- Standard First Aid
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
This position may include working weekends, statutory holidays, as well as early morning and late evening shifts.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: April, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-315: $30.81 per hour
Application Close: Open Until Filled
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Experience an asset
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 19, 2023, 4:21 pm
June 16, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vancouver