Clerk III (Mountain View Cemetery)Requisition ID: 38503
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function:
This position performs a range of clerical, reception, correspondence and administrative duties at Mountain View Cemetery. Information provided to the public is based on research, record verification / validation, as well as the understanding and application of provincial legislation, municipal bylaws and cemetery rules. The accurate and detailed maintenance and interpretation of manual and electronic records is a critical aspect of this position. This position serves as a resource for helping families who have recently experienced a death to understand and make decisions related to cemetery space, interment and memorialization.
This position reports to the Cemetery Manager and works semi-independently along with other Cemetery Clerks. Much of the work is generated via public inquires by phone/email or in-person. Staff exercise substantial discretion in the timing and scheduling of daily work tasks in order to accommodate varying client demand and frequently changing schedules.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs moderately complex and varied clerical and administrative work related to all aspects of the provision of cemetery services.
- Performs routine clerical and reception duties such as assisting and responding to enquiries from the public and external businesses.
- Responds to public inquiries via phone/email and in-person related to the use of grave space including the application of relevant legislation, By-Laws and cemetery rules
- Communicates detailed information with clients based on multiple records related to interments, marker setting and other cemetery services
- Information is accurately entered into various electronic and manual systems for communication to staff and confirmation to clients
- Accurately maintains, appends and corrects detailed cemetery records - both electronic and manual. This work often requires additional research into multiple sources of historical and ambiguous cemetery records
- Performs genealogy research for customers.
- Meets with the public to promote and sell cemetery products and services
- Completes transactions and amends records related to the transfer of grave ownership and exhumations
- Records daily transactions in cash book and prepares weekly reconciliations and deposits
- Leads and coordinates a variety of tasks to supports the a variety of functions in the Celebration Hall including coordinating memorial services, processing contracts and billing
- Manages various documents pertaining to the Cemetery and its employees
- Generates letters, invoices and forms to external businesses and customers
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the twelfth school grade preferably including or supplemented by courses in commercial subjects and bookkeeping.
- Considerable related clerical experience as a Records Clerk or File Clerk with large filing systems, including record verification, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Previous experience in cemetery or funeral service is desirable
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations which govern cemeteries.
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated capacity to learn custom applications.
- Excellent written communication skills including knowledge of correct punctuation, grammatical usage and a good vocabulary for preparation of business letters and related correspondence.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of office record keeping.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public and to maintain harmonious working relationships with administrative officials and other employees.
- Ability to meet and consult with people who are grieving and assist them in making decisions related to cemetery space, interment and memorialization.
- Ability to maintain complex records and to prepare periodic statistical and narrative reports from such records.
- Ability to assign and review the work of a few employees engaged in routine office operations.
- Ability to make fairly complex arithmetical calculations with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Proven ability to make minor decisions in accordance with laws and regulations, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge and experience using SAP for time entry, and invoice verification would be an asset.
- Considerable research skills that include the ability to find, interpret, and validate historical documents from electronic databases and paper/manual records.
- Some skill in operating common office appliances.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: 04/15/2023
Number of Positions Available: multiple
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $29.13 to $34.23 per hour
Application Close: May 28, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Clerk III (Mountain View Cemetery)
Experience an asset
$29.13 to $34.23 Hour
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
May 19, 2023, 4:17 pm
May 28, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vancouver