The Corporation of the City of Thunder Bay has a rewarding opportunity for a
Apply On-line at www.thunderbay.ca/jobs/manager-accounting
Located on the beautiful shores of Lake Superior, Thunder Bay is the sunniest City in Eastern Canada and a four-season outdoor playground. The urban centre enjoys green spaces, parks, and wilderness and is also considered a cultural capital with a thriving visual and performing arts scene. As the most populous municipality in North-western Ontario, Thunder Bay is the region's commercial, administrative, and medical "hub", and is home to a variety of educational institutions. Thunder Bay continues to pursue growth and development opportunities on behalf of its diverse community.
As a Northerner, an exceptional superior lifestyle awaits you for work and play. Shorter commutes provide work-life balance and the opportunity for the outdoor enthusiast to discover a richness of wilderness only moments away. Thunder Bay offers a variety of affordable housing and a vibrant, culturally diverse community with access to fine dining and the arts, make this community a wonderful place to live, work, and raise a family. Thunder Bay has excellent schools, including publicly funded French language, French immersion, and International Baccalaureate programs, as well as Confederation College and Lakehead University. If you truly enjoy the advantages of work life balance that a smaller city provides in a large organisation setting, then come join us.
Always striving to live up to its motto, Superior by Nature, the Corporation of the City of Thunder Bay (City) currently seeks a...
The Manager, Accounting is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the accounting, financial reporting, accounts payable, banking and investment requirements of the Corporation.
- Participates as a member of the Office of the City Treasurer Management Team in the development of strategic initiatives for the Division.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of the annual Financial Information Return as required by the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of annual consolidated financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Responsible for monitoring the status of all reserves, reserve funds and trust funds.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of commodity tax returns, ensuring compliance with legislative requirements and communication of commodity tax rules to all affected City departments.
- Liaises with City departments, general public, federal, provincial and municipal auditors, bankers, fiscal agents and outside agencies as required.
The Ideal Candidate
This position requires:
- Degree in business administration, commerce, mathematics, or a related discipline together with a professional accounting designation and a minimum of five years’ progressively responsible management experience in municipal finance or business management; or
- Diploma in business administration or a related discipline together with a professional accounting designation and a minimum of seven years’ progressively responsible management experience in municipal finance or business management
- Knowledge of regulations/legislation and processes related to financial reporting for local governments, generally accepted accounting principles for the public sector as prescribed by the Public Sector Accounting Board of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with members of City Council, private and public officials, direct reports, co-workers and the general public
- Ability to think and act strategically in the public sector environment, including the ability to conceptualize and implement departmental change strategies
- Excellent project/time management, analytical/critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to direct, motivate, evaluate and recognize staff; proven ability to share skills and knowledge with others
Why Work for the City of Thunder Bay (CTB)?
If you work as Manager, Accounting- you work for the municipality of the City of Thunder Bay.
When you work for the City of Thunder Bay, you are part of our team, and here you can:
- Experience your importance,
- Unleash your potential,
- Know your work matters,
- Embrace diversity,
- Make a difference,
- Join a dedicated team, and
- Build community.
Learn more about the top reasons to work at the CTB: https://www.thunderbay.ca/en/city-hall/jobs.aspx
Great Tangible Benefits
As a Supervisor Financial Services with the City you will be in receipt of the following amazing benefits:
- competitive salary
- matching pension plan
- paid vacation and holidays
- health benefits coverage – 100% employer paid health, vision, & dental benefits
- life insurance & accidental death & dismemberment insurance (1.5 times your annual salary)
- employee family assistance program (EFAP)
- employee wellness program
- corporate training & leadership development
- tuition reimbursement program (continuous learning)
- career progression opportunities
How to Apply
We can’t wait for you to join us and be a part of our team!
For a detailed job description, including job responsibilities and to apply please
Beautiful Thunder Bay
Learn why Thunder Bay is such great place to live and work: https://gotothunderbay.ca/why-thunder-bay/
Watch this video: Thunder Bay
5 years or more
Thunder Bay, ON
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
May 18, 2023, 12:15 pm
June 7, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Thunder Bay