Located in the Land of the Midnight Sun, the Town of Inuvik is the Gateway to the Beaufort Delta on the scenic Mackenzie River. The town, about 200km’s above the Arctic Circle is rich in diversity, and offers access by way of air transportation and by road, on the Dempster Highway.
Inuvik is an Arctic tourism destination that welcomes up to 7,000 visitors per year. The Town of 3,300 is also a service center for surrounding communities and Industry, including some First Nations enterprises and the oil and gas industry. Inuvik is a great place to raise a family, offering an abundance of lifestyle services including Government and Health Care Services, Education (including Aurora College) and transportation services. Recreation facilities include curling and hockey, squash and softball. Fishing, hunting, skiing, camping and all kinds of other outdoor activities abound.
If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding career, with potential to display your capacity for Municipal Leadership, consider making the Town of Inuvik your community and your team. This is a Community in which you CAN make a difference.
Reporting to the Director of Public Services, the Development Officer is responsible for all aspects of urban and development planning, land, and lease administration and to ensure the Town’s Zoning and Building By-laws are adhered to. This person will also champion energy conservation and climate change adaptation within the organization. The position also assists the Director of Public Services providing administrative services to ensure effective and efficient operations of the Public Services Department
Ideal Requirements include:
Administration of the Town's Planning and Building By-Laws and ensuring that all applications conform. Assisting the Director of Public Services in providing the required administrative functions for the department, i.e. Work Orders, Purchase Orders, Maintenance Planning, Inquiries etc. These services must be provided in an effective and efficient manner to ensure the Public Services operations are maintained and:
- Administer the Town’s Zoning By-law by:
- Administer the Town’s Building By-law
- Assist with Administration of Town lands within the municipal boundaries
- Conduct special planning studies, research projects and investigations as requested by the SAO.
- Represent the Town of Inuvik on all day-to-day activities related to community development and planning; liaise and correspond with agencies, governments, developers, and other interested parties as the representative of the Town and participate on relevant committees, seminars and conferences
- Carry out various administrative duties, including fundraising and development of briefing notices:
- Among other things, attend council meetings and provide advice to the SAO, develop an official community plan, develop zoning bylaw amendments and Development Officer
The Development Officer must also demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of Territorial and Municipal regulations respecting planning, development, and building
- Knowledge of the National Building Code and its regulations
- Knowledge of the NWT Planning Act
- General knowledge of engineering, construction, architectural and urban planning
The Town of Inuvik offers an exceptional salary and benefits package.
Detailed information, such as the position description, organizational chart will be forwarded upon request.
Submit a cover letter and detailed resume to:
Matt Noble at Ravenhill - Smith Search Inc.
Requests/Questions should be directed to:
Matt Noble, Team Leader, Ravenhill Group Inc.
1-250-941-9066 or 1-236-655-2365
North Tower 97c Main Street N,
Markham, ON L3P 1X7
Toll Free: 1-888-447-5900
877 East Chestermere Rd
Chestermere, AB T1X 1A7
Phone: (403) 612-5900
1280 Wilkinson Road, Suite 300
Comox, BC, V9M 4B8
Toll Free: 1-888-447-5900 ext. 709
Experience an asset
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 16, 2023, 12:05 pm
June 16, 2023, 4:30 pm
Town of Inuvik