Park Capital Works & Construction Coordinator
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Parks and Environment
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $3,437.60 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Parks and Environment Department is seeking a Park Capital Works & Construction Coordinator who will support the delivery of Regional Parks capital maintenance and development projects. The incumbent will plan, organize and oversee projects throughout the regional park system, collaborate with internal department staff and external agencies, and work with and coordinate contractors and consultants to deliver projects. The successful proponent will have experience working on park facilities with public access, in environmentally sensitive and sometimes remote areas.
You are a keen, hardworking, and independent professional able to work with minimal supervision; enjoy being in the great outdoors; have excellent communication and negotiation skills, and have a technical eye and aptitude with computer software.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- Ensure all workmanship and material is in accordance with design drawings and specifications.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and schedule work for in-house construction projects as well as for publicly tendered projects including assisting staff with project safety guidelines and developing project safety documentation.
- Arrange for, and administer the acquisition of, construction materials and equipment with the support of the Purchasing Department and dispatch.
- Perform and arrange for inspections and condition assessments as required including coordinating and managing the survey requirements for parks projects, studies and other related work.
- Develop and administer tender documents, RFPs and SOAs for construction materials, equipment and services and participate in the evaluation of submitted tenders.
- Administer consultant and construction contracts including negotiating changes to the work and coordinating the various project requirements.
- Complete civil engineering design assignments and prepare drawings.
- Prepare cost estimates for construction projects and implement cost control.
- Prepare and submit “record” drawings.
- Prepare and process various permit applications.
- Coordinate the implementation of environmental protection measures.
- Prepare a variety of written documents from meeting minutes to detailed reports.
- Utilize asset databases to perform project work and update at project completion.
- Research new materials, products and design solutions for incorporation into parks projects.
- Supervise technical staff as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology Diploma Program (2 years) in Construction or Engineering Technology with a minimum of 10 years related experience in municipal construction.
- Membership or eligibility for membership as a Technologist or Technician with the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC.
- Formal training in record keeping and computer software such as the MS Office suite, Arc View, AutoCAD and other related software.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to work collaboratively with park colleagues as part of a project team or leading a project team as well as the ability to work independently and to prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to chair meetings and create meeting agendas.
- Strong interpersonal skills combined with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Sound knowledge of Corporate Safety and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Excellent knowledge of MVRD corporate contracting and purchasing policies.
- Sound knowledge and interpretation of contract law.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to undertake additional training related to the duties of the position.
- Good fitness level to undertake assignments requiring negotiating difficult terrain and/or walking long distances.
- Able to work alone in remote locations.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by May 29, 2023.
Park Capital Works & Construction Coordinator
5 years or more
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
May 15, 2023, 8:35 am
May 29, 2023, 4:30 pm