Utility Maintenance Worker I (Outdoor Pools)Requisition ID: 37909
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Utility Maintenance Worker prepares and operates outdoor pools, water features, and water parks and performs routine to skilled maintenance, repair and cleaning of Vancouver's pools and community/recreation facilities.
The successful candidate will work early morning shifts starting on May 23rd at 5 am as operationally required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for a variety of functions related to the operation and service of swimming pools, pool chemical controllers, pumps, filtration and related equipment.
- Performs and coordinates routine janitorial functions including cleaning change rooms and washrooms; washing & waxing floors, replenishing supplies, collecting and transferring refuse.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks including lubricating, cleaning, and painting stationary equipment found in various facilities.
- Maintains building standards and monitor building security and safety.
- Assists a Maintenance Technician in the maintenance of mechanical equipment related to swimming pools, water features, water parks, HVAC, or other related mechanical equipment.
- Vacuuming of pools and safe handling of chemicals.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a recognized certification program in building services work and some related experience
- Pool Operator Level I and II
- Applicants must attach a copy of the required certifications to their application
- Working knowledge of water filtration equipment and disinfection systems
- Working knowledge of the materials, methods and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public groups and users of the facility to ensure observance of the rules and regulations
- Ability to observe equipment in operation and report on any malfunctions
- Ability to operate water filtration equipment and any other tools or equipment associated with the work ( Pool Vacuums, Blowers )
- Good health and strength sufficient to perform a variety of manual tasks in janitorial and building maintenance work
- Above average manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude
- Observes stationary equipment and related controls, logs gauge readings, and reports malfunctions to the superior
- Ability to lift items up to 22.5 kg
- A valid Class 5 driver's license and clean drivers abstract is preferred. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operation requirements of the department
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2023
Position End Date: September, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-014: $25.86 to $30.29 per hour
Application Close: Open until filled
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Utility Maintenance Worker I (Outdoor Pools)
Experience an asset
$25.86 to $30.29 Hour
Other trades certificate or diploma
May 12, 2023, 3:46 pm
June 2, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vancouver