Civil Engineer I - Project Manager, LandfillRequisition ID: 38299
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Engineer, Landfill supports the planning, design and implementation of landfill closure and gas works projects required to meet provincial regulations as well as achieve established objectives as identified by senior management or Council Policy. The position represents the Engineering Services division at meetings with the general public, key area stakeholders, advisory groups, key stakeholder groups, contractors and project partners. Reporting directly to the Senior Project Manager who will provide strategic direction and oversight, the Project Engineer , develops and manages project work programs, in terms of scope, budget and schedule, including the procurement and management of technical consultants as necessary and supervision of 1 or more engineering assistants. The Project Engineer will also work collaboratively with multidisciplinary waste management, geotechnical, and civil consultants, interdepartmentally within Engineering Services and with other CoV departments such as Supply Chain Management, Law, Planning, Parks, Facilities, Real Estate, and Development Services to identify stakeholder requirements and facilitate the successful planning and implementation of landfill projects
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, monitor, and manage project work plans (scope, budget, schedule, quality, risk, resources) to achieve key project objectives and within approved funding and schedule limitations as identified by senior management in the project charter(s).
- With direction from senior management and CoV Corporate Communications, build on established partnerships and/or develop partnerships with internal and external stakeholders necessary to successfully deliver on project objectives, ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable.
- Engage with subject matter experts to prepare terms of reference for technical consulting services related to civil engineering design and construction; and complete the tendering and selection process, or work with internal operational forces to deliver the design packages.
- Contract administration and management of technical consultants retained to support the planning, design and implementation of landfill closure and gas works projects.
- Read, review, interpret and critique engineering designs and specifications related to closure and gasworks designs.
- Coordinate and support the senior project manager in managing consultants and contractors, and escalating any identified conflicts as necessary to senior management for resolution.
- Apply best practice and knowledge of environmental and solid waste management.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a University Degree in Engineering
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in British Columbia
- Minimum 5 years of experience with solid waste management and/or construction projects.
- Experience in project management, engineering, or a related field.
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are necessary to be effective in this position.
- Strong analytical writing and public speaking skills are also essential.
- Demonstrated ability to take on a leadership role and be proactive at resolving project conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Proven experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Familiarity with federal and provincial waste management regulations
- Project Management experience in a complex multi-party construction environment
- Working knowledge of quality management frameworks such as EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes an asset
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2023
Position End Date: June, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $92,864 to $116,070 per annum
Application Close: June 2, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Civil Engineer I - Project Manager, Landfill
5 years or more
$92,864.00 to $116,070.00 Year
May 12, 2023, 3:22 pm
June 2, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vancouver