City of Prince Rupert
Closing: Until Filled
Hours: 20-25 hours per week, with opportunity for a flexible work day schedule
Experience the wonder of living in the gorgeous setting of BC’s northwest coast. A majestic city of over 12,000 (with an annual influx of 250,000 visitors) abounds with natural beauty and includes a bustling waterfront and charming heritage buildings. Ocean views and all the amenities for quality living are at hand.
Reporting directly to Finance Management, this part-time role will coordinate and process the City’s complex bi-weekly payroll in compliance with collective agreements, policies, and statutory requirements. This position requires an individual with the ability to understand, interpret, and apply payroll legislation, agreements and detailed procedures. The successful candidate will be highly motivated to ensure the timely and accurate completion of assigned tasks, while dealing with multiple priorities, management, and City staff. This role offers part-time hours, with the opportunity for a flexible work schedule provided payroll deadlines are met. There may also be the possibility for this role to offer full-time employment in the future, should the successful applicant be open to this increase in hours.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process bi-weekly payroll runs for unionized and exempt staff.
- Maintain employee records, including updating the accounting system.
- Perform monthly/annual reconciliation of all payroll-related accounts including WorkSafe Claim costs, CRA remittances, and Municipal Pension Plan contributions. Remit deductions and reports to appropriate provider/vendor.
- Prepare T4, T4A’s, and year end reconciliations as required.
- Prepare all payroll related journal entries and accruals, including the preparation of year- end payroll information for verification and audit.
- Process all information and reports for new, terminated, and retiring employees in a timely manner.
- Administer all benefit plans, remitting payments and required reports.
- Assist with budget preparation and cost analysis for various wage and benefit accounts.
- Respond to queries from managers and employees regarding payroll and benefit issues.
- Other payroll related duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
- Completion of a recognized accounting or payroll program, business degree or college level accounting diploma.
- 5+ years of progressive work experience in a financial/accounting environment, preferably a minimum of 3 years in a payroll position.
- A combination of relevant work experience and education will be considered.
- Have completed or working towards the Canadian Payroll Association Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification (PCP). Equivalent education or certification may be considered to waive this requirement.
- Experience working with computerized accounting programs and sound knowledge of Excel is required.
- Experience working within a unionized environment with multiple Collective Agreements would be an asset.
- Experience administering benefits and/or defined benefit pension plans would be an asset.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent written, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with speed and accuracy to adhere to tight deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent organizational, prioritization and problem-solving skills in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Ability to communicate thoughtfully and use discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain harmonious relationships with operational management and all City employees.
- Ability to work independently and to accomplish tasks and assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision is essential.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in PDF format to:
Laura Brlecic, Assistant Finance Manager
City of Prince Rupert
424 - 3rd Avenue West
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1L7
Application Deadline: Position open until filled
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
5 years or more
Prince Rupert, BC
May 12, 2023, 1:27 pm
June 9, 2023, 5:00 pm
City of Prince Rupert