(3 year Temporary Full-Time)
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District of North Vancouver is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. Designated one of BC’s Top Employers for 5 years, the District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package including a nine-day fortnight and hybrid work options. This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives to transform digital service delivery, customer experience, and our approach to climate action. Known for being a flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive workplace culture, the District of North Vancouver offers an exceptional workplace culture. If you are civic-minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
The District of North Vancouver is looking for a talented IT professional to join the District’s IT Infrastructure team as a Systems Administrator to build, manage, and support the District’s IT infrastructure.
What we can offer you
We’re looking for a talented Systems Administrator to join our team in a 3-Year Temporary Full-Time position. In this position you will be part of a team that is responsible for the secure and efficient operation of the organization's networks, servers, storage, telecommunications equipment, and cloud services. You will work with a range of departments from all around the District, everything from Engineering to the Library to the Fire Department and in between.
What you’ll be doing
As part of the IT Infrastructure team, reporting to the Manager – IT and Cybersecurity, you will;
- Oversee the performance, development, deployment and ongoing maintenance of the District's computer systems and related infrastructure
- Have the opportunity to modernize the District through upgrades to our datacentre and the continued adoption of services to Microsoft 365 and Azure.
- Research and plan for systems upgrades and refreshes
- Support and troubleshoot server hardware and operating systems, server and user applications, provide advice and assistance to departmental staff on technical matters
- Perform a variety of system administration tasks related to Microsoft 365, networks, servers and storage.
- Install and configure hardware and software and investigate and resolve software and hardware problems.
- Act as the last line of technical escalation for issues related to Microsoft 365, networks, servers and storage.
- Exercise considerable independence and judgement, however the incumbent should be able to communicate their work to the manager.
- Monitor systems and networks for alerts, taking actions to resolve or escalate as appropriate.
- Perform daily maintenance tasks to ensure reliable and efficient operation of systems and networks.
What you’ll need to succeed
- A passion for seeking out, and enacting, improvements to IT systems and processes.
- 5+ years progressive technical experience.
- Graduation from an institute of technology with a two year diploma in Computer Science or related discipline, supplemented by Microsoft, Cisco or other certifications.
- Expert proficiency in;
- Microsoft on-premises systems; Windows Server, Active Directory, Group Policy, Windows 10/11, DNS and DHCP, IIS
- VMware vSphere
- Storage Area Network Management and Administration (Hitachi preferred)
- Veeam Backup and Replication
- Hyperconverged Infrastructure
- Cisco switches and routers
- Understanding of data centre operations (power, UPS, cooling, etc)
- Intermediate or better proficiency in;
- Microsoft 365; Tenant Administration, Azure AD, Conditional Access and MFA, Single Sign-On, Roles Based administration.
- Microsoft Teams and Teams Phone, and VoIP infrastructure
- Microsoft Exchange Online/2016/2019
- Microsoft Azure IaaS administration
- Certificate Management
- PowerShell Scripting
- Considerable knowledge of the practices and procedures used in the identification and resolution of hardware and software issues, including operating systems and communication problems on networked computers.
- A firm understanding of secure IT operations and the governance, policies, and tools required to maintain secure IT systems.
- Ability to monitor the efficiency, effectiveness, and security of the District's systems and to implement remedial actions as required.
- Knowledge of local and wide area networks, server and workstation operating systems, hardware platforms, network protocols and related topologies.
- Demonstrate continued learning and understanding of current technology trends and challenges. Excellent grasp of problem definition and solution techniques applicable to the work performed.
- Superior communication skills, with strength in describing technical issues to a variety of end users, along with strong analytical and problem solving skills to ensure effective systems operations.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Work independently and establish work priorities
- A valid B.C. Driver’s Licence is required.
It’s great if you have
- Intermediate or better proficiency in;
- Citrix Virtual Desktop and App delivery
- Citrix Netscaler
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager and Intune
- Linux Server Administration
- Experience working in large multi-disciplined organizations
- Experience working in an ITIL environment
The salary range for this unionized position is $44.78 - $52.91 per hour (2021 rates) based on a 35 hour work week. If you have what we’re looking for and have a passion to serve people and the community, and a demonstrated commitment to supporting a healthy and safe workplace, we would like to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter, resume and current dated driver’s abstract at https://careers.dnv.org. This position will remain open until filled.
We respectfully acknowledge the Coast Salish peoples, specifically the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), on whose ancestral lands the District of North Vancouver is located.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
5 years or more
North Vancouver, BC
$44.78 to $52.91 Hour
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
May 8, 2023, 3:38 pm
June 8, 2023, 4:30 pm
District of North Vancouver