Analyst, Compensation & Benefits
Job Description Under Review
Competition #: 95-COV-23
Closing Date: June 11, 2023
Annual Salary: $74,814.00 - $88,016.47
The City of Vernon is undergoing a time of transformative change by adopting Workday as the organization’s financial and human resources management system. Integrating processes and data from our legacy system into Workday is a project that will be a catalyst for change within Human Resources.
Reporting to the Manager, Compensation & Benefits, the incumbent provides analytic and reporting expertise to the City’s compensation and benefits programs. This role will assist in building an employee centric total rewards program by providing relevant, innovative reporting on current employee demographics and will help identify trends and gaps in current compensation and benefit offerings. This role will act as the Administrator in the payroll, absence, compensation, benefits and time tracking modules within the Workday environment. As the Administrator, the incumbent will be a key player in business processes within Workday and will backfill the Manager, Compensation & Benefits position as needed.
As a member of the Human Resource Division, the incumbent participates in the planning of Human Resource programs, policies, and processes, and acts as a champion to these programs, policies, and processes when implementing them within the customer group.
- Completes bi-weekly payroll processing within the Human Resources Management System including data review, payroll calculations and final bank settlement to ensure accurate and timely biweekly payroll production.
- Prepares and remits biweekly payroll remittances to third party vendors such as Municipal Pension Plan, Canada Revenue Agency, and multiple unions.
- Works as payroll systems subject matter expert by ensuring optimal system performance and legislative compliance.
- Executes payroll system corrections as required and/or liaises with the Information Services team to implement technical solutions.
- Assists with collecting and preparing data and related analysis for Collective Agreement negotiations, grievances, and arbitrations.
- Troubleshoots technical payroll issues and corresponds with a variety of agencies relative to Income Tax, WorkSafe BC, Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, medical, dental, extended health and Municipal Pension Plan.
Compensation & Benefits
- Supports the overall compensation strategy by providing reporting on key compensation factors within the organization.
- Supports the development, integration, and ongoing review of employee wellness/wellbeing programs which are tailored to meet the needs of City of Vernon employees contributing to a thriving organization vested in employee wellness/well-being.
- Reviews compensation data and provides key metrics and reporting on position compensation information to aid with budgeting, decision making and strategic planning.
- Analyzes and performs audits on employee compensation and benefit data within employee master files to ensure accuracy and alignment with employee contracts and Collective Agreements.
- Provides reporting and statistical information to the Human Resources division, and other divisions as required, using both Workday delivered and custom reports to assist in business decision making.
- Acts as subject matter expert in areas of Workday payroll, compensation, benefits, absence and time tracking modules from a data and reporting perspective.
- Regularly reviews reports to identify trends, address missing employee information, identify errors in payroll input and ensure accurate integration between Workday modules to safeguard data integrity.
- Provides reports to third party vendors such as Municipal Pension Plan, WorkSafe BC, Service Canada, and other government agencies to ensure the organization’s legal reporting requirements are being met.
- Responds to inquiries and requests for data and reports, as approved by the Manager, Compensation & Benefits.
- Provides leadership on, and shares expertise and ideas for, improved organizational reporting within Workday payroll, compensation, benefits, absence and time tracking modules.
- Backfills the Manager, Compensation & Benefits position as needed.
- Provides analysis, makes recommendations, and implements new policies and procedures as they relate to data collection, system data configuration and reporting in Workday.
- Supports other Human Resources team members with reporting needs and provides recommendations on reports to be used or designed by Information Services to best meet reporting needs.
- Assists in conducting relevant training for stakeholders to foster understanding of all employees on payroll processes, Human Resource Management System, and reporting tools for the organization.
The above statements are a general description of the principle functions of the role and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the requirements that may be inherent in the job. There may be a requirement to perform other duties, as required
All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties
Required Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a diploma program in a related discipline (i.e., human resources, commerce, business administration, public administration, or social sciences).
- Payroll Compliance Professional (PCP) designation.
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible experience in a payroll setting, preferably in a unionized environment or in a larger organization.
- Experience in implementing and maintaining payroll/HRMS information systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Ability to identify reporting needs based on information that is missing or is required to be complied.
- Ability to critically analyze, develop recommendations, and implement solutions to complex problems.
- Experience implementing new Human Resource Management Systems.
- Considerable knowledge of payroll procedures, government requirements, and union and benefits contracts.
- Knowledge of the Employment Standards Act (ESA), Human Rights Code, Municipal Pension Plan (MPP), and other related legislation.
- Maintains the confidentiality of compensation and benefits information and exercises considerable tact and diplomacy when dealing with management staff, other employees, outside agencies, and government/regulatory officials.
- Ability to independently compose effective and accurate correspondence.
- Thorough knowledge of Business English, spelling, punctuation, and of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Advanced level competency with Excel; Intermediate level competency in Word.
- Ability to handle high stress periods with significant deliverables.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Payroll Leadership Professional (PLP) designation.
- Successful completion of a Data Analytics, or related certificate level, program.
- Experience with Workday payroll, compensation, benefits, absence and time tracking modules.
- Experience with Workday reports or other payroll software reporting modules is an asset.
- Experience in a municipal environment.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Analyst, Compensation & Benefits
3 years to less than 5 years
$74,814.00 to $88,016.47 Year
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
May 8, 2023, 2:27 pm
June 11, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Vernon