Department: Parks, Recreation & Culture
Salary: $24.58 per hour
Closing: July 2, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you! We are actively hiring Aquatic Lifeguards/Instructor for our newly renovated aquatic facility. Come and join our great team for this exciting time!
Some of the duties of the position include:
- Instructing aquatic programs for all ages;
- Responsibility for guarding the pools, preventing drownings and reacting to water related incidents
- Performing minor preventative and maintenance tasks;
- Participating in rescues and first aid treatment when required.
This is lifeguarding and aquatics instructional work at the entry level at an indoor and/or outdoor aquatic facility. An employee of this position, under close supervision performs a variety of lifeguarding and instructional tasks for all age groups. The position is also responsible for performing minor preventative and maintenance tasks in accordance with established practices and procedures, exercising tact and firmness in dealing with patrons. The more difficult or unusual matters are referred to a superior who checks and reviews work performance in terms of effectiveness of the aquatic programs and services rendered; and in terms of conformance with established practices and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Previous aquatic experience through employment or volunteer activities in a municipal recreation program or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Sound knowledge of the principles, practice and theory of lifesaving, lifeguarding, artificial respiration and first aid.
- Working knowledge of teaching methods and group leadership techniques, emphasizing instruction in water safety and aquatic skills.
- Working knowledge of pool operations and testing tools, including water filtration, chlorination, heating, and pool chemistry.
- Ability to display sound aquatic skills and to instruct in these skills at standards set by relevant authorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external contacts and groups, volunteers, program participants and members of the public.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with staff, public and user groups.
- Ability to display sound judgement and decision making and adapt to a variety of circumstances.
- Ability to perform duties for extended periods of time.
- Ability to use a variety of materials and equipment for pool maintenance and facility cleanliness purposes.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records related to the work.
LICENCES AND CERTIFICATES
- National Lifeguard Award.
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor’s Certificate.
- Standard First Aid with CPR, Level C/Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
We encourage High School students that are older than 16 years of age to apply. Continuous intake of qualified candidates will occur throughout the posting.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
It is highly recommended to apply in April for summer employment. Candidates will be scheduled for the following in-water skills screening:
- Sat. April 29th 12:30pm-2:30pm
- Sat. May 13th 12:30pm-2:30 pm
- Sat. June 17th 12:30pm-2:30 pm
Candidates successful in skills screening will be invited to an interview during the following time periods:
- May 1-5
- May 15-19
- June 19-23
HOURS OF WORK
This is an Auxiliary position with no ongoing regular schedule of hours.
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Experience an asset
Maple Ridge, BC
Other trades certificate or diploma
April 4, 2023, 2:57 pm
July 2, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Maple Ridge