One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
City of Delta
This is aquatic work in lifeguarding and instructing, on an assigned shift, at an indoor and/or outdoor aquatic facility. An employee of a position in this class performs a variety of operational, instructional, lifeguarding, janitorial and minor preventative maintenance tasks in offering instructional and recreational aquatic programs for all age groups. A Lifeguard/Instructor II performs these duties in accordance with established practices and procedures, exercising tact and firmness in dealing with juvenile and adult patrons. The more difficult or unusual matters are referred to a superior who checks and reviews work performance in terms of effectiveness of the aquatic programs and services rendered, and in terms of conformance with established practices and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the theory and practice of lifesaving, artificial respiration and first aid.
- Working knowledge of teaching methods and group leadership techniques emphasizing instruction in water safety and aquatic skills.
- Working knowledge of pool chemistry, of water filtration, chlorination, heating and related pool equipment and procedures.
- Ability to display sound aquatic skills and to instruct in these skills at standards set by relevant authorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees and patrons.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records relating to the work.
- National Lifeguard Award – Pool Option (NL)
- Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor certification
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Level C current within one year (CPR C)
- Minimum age of sixteen (16) years.
- Completion of Grade 10 and/or an equivalent combination of training and experience is an asset.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $24.88 per hour (2022 rates) + 12% in lieu of vacation, public holidays and benefits. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition number 23-86 EX by June 30, 2023.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend one (1) mandatory wet skills screening assessment and a dry interview at Sungod Recreation Centre on one of the following dates:
- Summer Hiring: Thursday, April 27, Tuesday, May 2
- Fall Hiring: Thursday, July 20 or Tuesday, July 25
Candidates will be assigned a timeslot between 4:30 pm - 9:30 pm, and can plan to be at the pool for 1.5 - 2 hours. Candidates who are unable to attend one of these dates may not be considered.
The City of Delta's Covid-19 Vaccination Policy has been suspended, however, we reserve the right to reinstate it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our community, and our Communicable Disease Plan and related protocols remain in place.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
Experience an asset
Other trades certificate or diploma
April 4, 2023, 11:33 am
June 30, 2023, 4:30 pm
City of Delta