Cashier/Kitchen Attendant - City of Vancouver
Cashier/Kitchen AttendantRequisition ID: 38168
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Gathering Place Community Centre serves as an important resource to Vancouver’s diverse Downtown South community. Patrons participate in educational, recreational, cultural, and social programming; enjoy delicious low-cost food offered out of the cafeteria; or simply enjoy the centre as the living room of the Downtown South.
The Cashier/Kitchen Attendant position is responsible for the delivery of essential food services at Gathering Place Community Centre in a professional and welcoming manner with or without the assistance of volunteers. Customer service is a key element of this position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in food preparation, including preparing and packaging catering orders and light meals; assisting kitchen staff with cleaning; and receiving deliveries
- Operating the concession point of sale and cash accounting records; conducting cash-outs; serving customers in a polite and professional manner; training and supervising volunteers; ensuring concession is properly stocked; cleaning and maintaining hygiene standards in the cafeteria; and other related duties as required
- Ability to work with volunteers, patrons and staff in a respectful and supportive manner
- Understanding of the various needs of volunteers and have the ability to provide direction as needed
Education and Experience:
- Completion of eleventh school grade preferably with one year experience in a commercial kitchen, catering, or food service operations, including operating a cash register and providing food services to customers and/or other retail work related experience or cooking school training.
- Working knowledge of concession operations is required
- Working knowledge of sanitation, public health, and kitchen safety standards as applied to the serving, storage, and preparation of food
- Experience in dealing with a broad spectrum of customers and a demonstrated focus on customer service is required
- Experience working with and training volunteers is an asset
- Cashier/Kitchen Attendants must have strong people skills, be energetic, and motivated team players who possess strong organizational skills
- Strong time management and multi tasking skills
- Physically able to work several hours in an upright position and lift moderately heavy weights (10-12 kg)
- Food Safe Level 1 or ability to obtain is a requirement
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: April 2023
Positions Available: multiple
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $23.86 to $27.98 per hour
Application Close: March 26, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.