Systems Analyst III (Solution Architect) - City of Vancouver
Systems Analyst III (Solution Architect)Requisition ID: 38190
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Solution Architect helps support and lead the implementation of enterprise, business, information/data, application and technology architectures. Working with the Enterprise Architecture team, the Solution Architect will provide support to enterprise-level business functions for the City’s Engineering Services department.
The Solution Architect will champion an enterprise view with support and alignment with Enterprise Architecture. They will apply enterprise strategies, blueprints, and standards into their solutions and designs, and work closely with the Engineering Services business teams. Projects will include IoT, extending existing City systems, integrating new SaaS applications, and other business priority work.
The position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts & Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Manager of Enterprise Architecture within Technology Services Enterprise Architecture, and works closely with IT teams, City PMO project teams, other City staff, and external consultants as required. This position will be working closely with our Engineering Services department supporting the delivery of critical capital plan projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Researches, evaluates and recommends new tools and methodologies for development of business applications
- Validates, Refines and Expands the Enterprise Architecture Model
- Verifies assumptions; utilizes subject matter expertise to improve and further define the model defined by the Enterprise Architect
- Assesses the value of solution-enhancing developments and incorporate as appropriate.
- Uses the requirements to develop well-formulated models of the components of the solution; augments models as necessary
- Communicates ideas effectively
- Consults with customers to understand their requirements
- Translates business and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint to achieve business objectives
- Identifies use or purpose, constraints, risks, etc.
- Participates in the discovery and documentation of the business scenarios driving the solution.
- Provides project management services for programs and projects and management of the resource/team assigned.
- Manages the Architecture:
- Represents architecture and issues during development and decision points
- Acts as an "agent of change", communicating the need for the implementation of the architecture.
- Continuously fosters the sharing of business unit, architecture, and technical information across the organization.
- Creates a Useful Model:
- Uses requirements and develop well-formulated models of the components of the solution; augment the models as necessary; use models and multiple views to communicate ideas effectively.
- Leads evaluation, design, and analyses of the solution architecture across a group of specific business applications or technologies, based on enterprise business strategies, business capabilities, value streams, business requirements and enterprise standards
- Provides technical assistance to business applications upgrades and implementation of other modules, including integration to other applications
- Develops technical implementation plan, including scope, budget, and schedule, for projects and initiatives
- Contributes to strategic planning of IT enterprise architecture, deployments and road map
- Participates in the development of IT specifications, budgeting estimates for capital and operating requests, procurement processes, and contract negotiation.
- Makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a related discipline.
- 5 years of professional IT experience in at least two IT solution disciplines – eg technical or infrastructure architecture, application development, cloud, IoT, data, integration
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a role focused on delivering solution architecture as a strategic practice
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in project management including all aspects of PM role
- Extensive knowledge of current IT trends and technologies.
- Proficient in the techniques required to produce designs of complex systems; including requirements discovery and analysis, formulation of solution content, identification of solution alternatives and their assessment, technology selection, and design configuration.
- Working knowledge of more than one design method, such as the TOGAF Architecture Development Method (ADM)
- Experience using Enterprise Architecture tooling, Hopex preferred
- Ability to direct groups with diverse opinions together to reach a consensus and the ability to lead the effort of architecting a technical solution to address complex business problems.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and team members to provide advice, information and assistance
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, etc.).
- Capable of handling business critical and sensitive information in a position of trust.
- Experience with API Management and Integration Platforms (API design, gateways, analytics)
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2023
Position End Date: May, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $102,256 to $127,830 per year
Application Close: April 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.