Weighmaster (Transfer and Landfill Operations) - City of Vancouver
Weighmaster (Transfer and Landfill Operations)Requisition ID: 37908
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Weighmaster is responsible for performing a variety of clerical and cashier duties relating to the operation of weigh scales in a fast paced, high-volume environment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Weighmaster’s duties include:
- Weighing private, commercial and City vehicles to determine net weight of loads and entering applicable codes for the purpose of collecting appropriate fees.
- Correctly identifying materials delivered conform to site rules and restrictions.
- Accurately processing payments and completing electronic non-payment and manifest forms.
- Registering vehicles, issuing receipts
- Daily end-of shift reconciliation
- Perform other related work as required
This position will work out of the Vancouver Landfill in Delta and the Transfer Station in Vancouver. Hours of work vary from 5:00am to 8:00pm on Weekdays and Weekends. Work location and shift schedule may vary according to operational requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the twelfth school grade. Some related experience in the trucking or cartage business or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable experience providing customer service and cashier functions with proven ability to handle cash, debit and credit transactions with accuracy.
- An in-depth knowledge of Transfer and Landfill Operations Branch policies including solid waste and recyclable materials in a municipal setting, specifically a landfill site, is a definite asset.
- Good knowledge of the methods used in operating platform type weigh scales utilized in weighing trucks.
- Sound knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the disposal of refuse at the City disposal areas.
- Ability to calculate fees, issue receipts, balance and deposit cash, tabulate accounts and perform clerical, inspectional and cashiering duties.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work with accuracy and efficiency in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work in a computerized environment.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public and to maintain harmonious working relationships with administrative officials and other employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and explain applicable regulations as required.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: May 2023
Number of Positions: 5
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $29.13 to $34.23 per hour
Application Close: March 26, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.