Food Service Worker (Dishwasher) - City of Vancouver
Food Service Worker (Dishwasher)Requisition ID: 38106
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Gathering Place serve as important resources to Vancouver’s diverse Downtown South communities. Patrons can participate in educational, recreational, cultural and social programming; enjoy the delicious low cost meals offered at the Centre cafeterias; access life essential services such as laundry, showers, or sheltering services; or simply enjoy the Gathering Place as the safe and welcoming places to connect with their neighbors.
The Food Service Worker (Dishwasher) position is a physically demanding dishwashing position requiring manual labour in a fast-paced kitchen environment. The Food Service Worker performs a variety of cleaning and kitchen tasks in a commercial kitchen. The Food Service Worker organizes, cleans, sanitizes the work area, sorts food and waste into appropriate recycling bins, washes and puts away pans, pots, dishes, and other equipment used in the kitchen, and executes various tasks to assist other employees responsible for serving and preparing food and beverages including assisting in receiving and stocking supplies. The Food Service Worker maintains and operates commercial dishwashing equipment and reports any repair requirements.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of cleaning and kitchen tasks including washing, sanitizing, and putting away dishes, utensils, pots, pans, and other kitchen equipment
- Ensures that the work area is clean, organized and free from hazards
- Ensures that all equipment in the dish pit is in clean, safe operating condition and reports any need for repair to the Food Services Coordinator
- Assists other kitchen staff with receiving supplies and stocking
- Ensures that dirty dishes are brought to the dish pit, and that food waste and garbage is sorted into appropriate recycling bins
- Ensures that dishwashing practices (e.g. personal hygiene) are compliant with food safe requirements
- Collects dishes and cutlery from the second floor cafeteria and brings to the third floor kitchen and dishwashing area
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and appropriate professional boundaries with staff, volunteers, and community members
- Works tactfully and compassionately with volunteers who may have drug or alcohol addictions and/or be isolated through poverty, homelessness, mental illness, or other factors of systemic oppression
- Provides guidance, support, direction to volunteers as needed in the kitchen and cafeteria
- Deals tactfully with difficult issues and handles complaints from volunteers and patrons concerning the food services in the Centre, or directs complaints to the Food Services Coordinator
- Maintains a safe, healthy, and positive environment for staff, volunteers, patrons, and community members to access food services
- Understands and follows all food safety and occupational health and safety protocols, including enhanced safety protocols in place due to COVID-19
Education and Experience:
- Completion of tenth school grade, preferably supplemented with Food Safe training and some experience in dealing with socially and economically disadvantaged populations, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working knowledge of the methods, supplies and equipment used to clean and sanitize dishes, pots, pans, utensils, equipment and working areas
- Some knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service and of necessary precautionary measures
- Ability to operate modern dishwashing equipment
- Ability to organize work area efficiently and to establish and maintain an effective work schedule
- Ability to do physically demanding work in a fast paced, hot, humid environment for long periods of time
- Ability to work in an upright position for a long period of time
- Ability to use computer to check and respond to e-mails
- Ability to understand and follow regulations, policies and procedures related to food services and Centre operations
A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: April 2023
Positions Available: multiple
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-009: $21.27 to $24.88 per hour
Application Close: March 26, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.