Building Official - Plan Reviewer 3 - City of Maple Ridge
Building Official - Plan Reviewer 3
Competition # 23-041
Status: Regular Full Time CUPE
Department: Building Services
Salary: $40.13 – 47.38 per hour
Closing: April 9, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
This is specialized technical and administrative work in reviewing plans and specifications accompanying applications for buildings regulated under Part 3 of the BC Building Code and applicable bylaws, acts, standards and regulations. The focus of the work is multi-family residential, commercial, Industrial, Institutional and mixed-use buildings. An incumbent of this class provides technical information and assistance to property owners, contractors, engineers, architects and other municipal staff on matters related to the application; discusses plans, proposed projects and non-conformance issues with applicants and others as required; clarifies problem areas; aids in finding solutions to areas of non-compliance; interprets and explains Codes, bylaws and regulations; and makes recommendations for revisions. An incumbent also assists with coordinating the processing of building permit applications through City departments and assists with Plan Reviewer 1 and 2 work. An incumbent of this class exercises considerable independent judgment in the technical aspects of the work within delegated areas of responsibility and in resolving day to day operational matters.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by a Certificate in Building Technology from an Institute of Technology, graduation with a Diploma in Building Technology preferred, plus sound related experience in the building construction industry, design industry, or municipal field, or an equivalent combination of training; preferably 4 years or experience working with complex buildings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the applicable sections of the BC Building Code (BCBC), applicable bylaws, acts, codes, standards and regulations and departmental policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of building construction methods, materials and techniques.
- Working knowledge of the British Columbia Fire Code and Fire Services Act.
- Ability to interpret and apply the BCBC, bylaws, and regulations and to effectively explain to a variety of internal and external customers.
- Ability to read plans and drawings, to interpret and apply the BCBC and City regulations and bylaws and to suggest corrections and changes where required.
- Ability to coordinate the processing of applications through relevant City departments to ensure the timely completion of same and to liaise with said departments to facilitate same.
- Ability to deal effectively with owners, contractors, tradespeople, engineers, architects and others and to use sound judgement in impartially, tactfully and firmly enforcing bylaws, standards and regulations.
- Ability to liaise with City inspection staff and contractors during building construction regarding Code interpretations, substitutability and equivalency of building materials.
- Ability to process revisions to approved plans.
- Ability to assist inspection staff on project sites as required.
- Ability to prepare reports, records and correspondence related to the work in accordance with City record management protocol.
- Ability to work with data management systems and related computer programs.
- Ability to perform work at a Plan Reviewer 1, 2 and 3 level.
LICENCES AND CERTIFICATES
BOABC Level 3 Qualification
Registration as a Building Official with the BOABC
Valid Class 5 driver’s license valid in the Province of British Columbia
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.