Driver/Swamper - Solid Waste Collection Operator - City of White Rock
Driver/Swamper - Solid Waste Collection Operator
The City of White Rock is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to promoting and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our teams and a more vibrant community starts with you! In return for your valued contributions, you can expect a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to work with an outstanding team.
The Engineering and Municipal Operations Department, Public Works Division, seeks an individual with outstanding work ethic and a safety-first attitude to join their team as a full-time Driver/Swamper - Solid Waste Collection Operator. In this role, you will be responsible for the collection of residential solid waste, including garbage, recycling, and organics, by operating a collection vehicle in a safe and efficient manner. This is routine manual work involving considerable physical effort in all weather conditions. Other duties may be assigned by the division such as maintenance and construction duties, operating a variety of small equipment, performing inspections, and performing routine equipment maintenance.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license with an air brake endorsement, or equivalent with a demonstrated safe driving record;
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by knowledge of the City’s solid waste, organics and recycling program and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Considerable experience or training and knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions applicable to the work;
- Ability to perform routine tasks without direct supervision;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Ability to work outdoors in a physically demanding role, in all types of weather conditions;
- Ability to perform basic vehicle and equipment maintenance duties;
- Ability to operate a variety of public works maintenance equipment;
- Knowledge of the physical layout of White Rock considered an asset;
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $31.81 hourly (2021 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and drivers abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: Friday March 31, 2023, by 4:30pm
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2023‐13
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted