Co-op Student – Engineering (Transportation and Drainage Section) - City of Chilliwack
Co-op Student – Engineering
Transportation and Drainage Section
Four Month May to August 2023 Or Eight Month May to December 2023
The City of Chilliwack has a great opportunity for a Co-operative Education Student in the Transportation and Drainage Section of the Engineering Department. The term of this assignment will be a minimum of four months (May to August 2023) or eight months (May – December 2022).
The position will consist of specific assignments related to municipal roads, drainage infrastructure and asset management. The assignments will include becoming familiar with the City’s Land Development Bylaw, road signs and markings standards, road safety programs, flow monitoring, and drainage and culvert inspection programs. Duties will include traffic data collection and analysis, preparing correspondence and other documents, responding to public enquiries, carrying out field inspections and other duties as assigned.
Assignments and responsibilities for this position will be performed under general supervision and performance will be subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the Department Manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be enrolled in the Co-operative Education Program at a recognized post-secondary institution and have met the specific entrance criteria for that program
- Basic knowledge of the functions, methods, rules, procedures, bylaws, regulations and policies pertaining to Municipal Government
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in written format
- Strong computer skills
- Good knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Able to perform assignments with minimal supervision
- Able to operate a variety of standard office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Able to be polite, courteous and tactful in dealing with the public and be neat in appearance
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with department officials, department heads and other members of the staff
- Able to process a variety of calls, complaints and enquiries authoritatively and arrange appointments/meetings as required
- Able to process a variety of confidential material with discretion and integrity.
You will have opportunities to develop important industry skills. The expectation is that you will apply your existing knowledge and skills and gain valuable experience and success recognizable to government and private industry employers. As a student, you will acquire:
- Greater understanding of municipal procedures and environmental initiatives
- Opportunities to improve organizational and public communication skills
- Contacts in other municipalities.
In this position, you will work the standard work week of Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, but must be flexible should an assigned project include weekend and/or evening work, or overtime hours. The hourly rate for this position is $28.97 (2023 rate).
If this job is a good fit for you, apply at jobs.chilliwack.com and apply today!
Competition Number 2023-06
Please submit applications and post-secondary transcripts by 4:30 pm on February 10, 2023
Applications without transcripts will not be considered (unofficial copies are acceptable).