Park Attendant (Park Ranger) - District of West Vancouver
PARK ATTENDANT – PARK RANGER
(Temporary Full Time)
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
If you have a passion for nature and the outdoors, parks stewardship and are skilled at interacting with people and connecting with the community this could be the opportunity you have been waiting for! The West Vancouver Parks Department is accepting applications for several temporary full-time Park Attendant – Park Ranger positions. The Park Attendant – Park Ranger is responsible for the following:
- Providing public safety through interacting with park users and parks patrolling
- Educating park users on parks rules, regulations, bylaws and wildlife interactions
- Working with various park user groups (such as sports organizations, stewardship groups and events organizers/participants)
- Monitoring usage at high volume parks and implementing parking procedures when required to prevent overcrowding
- Reporting any issues in the Parks through the appropriate channels (eg. Bylaw, Police, Fire and other Departments)
- Performing manual tasks involved in invasive species remediation, trailside vegetation maintenance and beach clean ups
The preferred candidate will possess:
- The ability to deal with the public in a courteous and effective manner
- Demonstrated judgement skills in interpreting regulations, bylaws and other related information
- A good command of the English language both verbally and in writing
- Overall good physical condition with the capacity to walk long distances and perform physically demanding work when required
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A valid First Aid Certificate, CPR Certification and some security training and/or experience
- Knowledge of and experience working with invasive species removal and site remediation
- Ability to safely operate handheld equipment required for trailside vegetation maintenance (line trimmer, hedge trimmer, etc.)
- Chainsaw certification considered an asset
The successful candidate must have:
- completed Grade 12 or equivalent
- a valid unrestricted Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence
- an acceptable original Police Information Check and Driver’s Abstract
Expression of interest:
There will be an opportunity for Lead Hand work as part of the Park Ranger team. If you are interested, please indicate in your resume and cover letter.
The successful candidate will be required to supply an acceptable police information check and a copy of their credentials. All District of West Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on WestNet.
Union (WVMEA) – Temporary, Full-time
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week. This position works all weekends, and evenings on a rotation
Starting Rate of Pay:
$27.45 per hour + 12% in lieu of benefits
This position has a pay structure with three steps increase after certain hours.
11:59 p.m. on Sunday, February 12, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Portal on our website at www.westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen to be interviewed will be contacted