Director - Parkland Community Planning Services
Parkland Community Planning Services
Management / Administration
Parkland Community Planning Services
Apr 19, 2023
Parkland Community Planning Services (PCPS) is an entrepreneurial intermunicipal services agency committed to providing planning services that offer creative and effective solutions through collaborative and proactive planning processes. We specialize in the development of statutory land use planning documents, site assessment and design and subdivision services, and support for development approvals and appeals. We serve numerous member municipalities and other municipal clients, providing services geared to the needs of each municipality. PCPS also undertakes special planning projects for other municipalities (both urban and rural), government departments, agencies and private landowners.
Are you a dynamic individual passionate about working with communities on innovative projects that create meaningful and lasting change? Do you thrive in an environment that allows you to demonstrate your professional acumen while exercising your ethical responsibilities to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately and treat sensitive situations with tact and discretion? This exciting opportunity allows your policy, technical, analytical and relationship-building skills to shine.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director is responsible for the execution of the strategic plan through the effective and cost-efficient administration of PCPS activities. A key responsibility is to research, identify and develop new client relationships in addition to maintaining and enhancing current client relationships through the promotion of sound planning. Additionally, this role provides the overall direction to a team of professional and administrative staff.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Strong leadership ability with the motivation to influence and work effectively with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise the Board on financial, personnel and other organizational matters which may affect the operation of PCPS.
- Exercise signing authority in the execution of the decisions of the Board and in the disbursement of funds within the authority given by the Board.
- Provides advisory and information services to municipalities to enhance municipal operational effectiveness and decision making related to planning.
- Identify and develop new client relationships with communities in Central Alberta by generating awareness and offering support regarding municipal planning
- Meets and corresponds with municipal councils and administrators, government departments and public and private sector agencies on a variety of land use planning issues.
- Directs the operation of PCPS and its staff through the preparation and implementation of a Board-approved business plan, organizational manual and procedures manual.
- Directs the development and implementation of PCPS’ personnel policies including good staff relations among staff and PCPS members and clients.
- Responsible for employee life cycle activities with a focus on coaching, mentoring as well as ensuring continuous development/training to maintain position specific skills and knowledge.
- Planning or related University Degree, complemented by further education or training in public or business administration
- Completion of the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Level 1 or 2 is an asset
- Registered Professional Planner, or ability to achieve this credential is preferred
- Five years of progressively responsible, related experience providing leadership and direction to a team of professional and administrative support
- Experience advancing business development
- Experience with municipal planning is considered a strong asset
- Experience working in a municipal government setting is considered beneficial
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Must have own transportation and the ability to travel within the Central Alberta region.
A competitive salary, commensurate with education and experience. Parkland Community Planning Services offers a generous benefit package, including health and wellness benefits and participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates please submit a resume with a cover letter outlining how you meet the qualifications to:
Lacombe, AB T4L 1E9
All applicants are thanked for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Parkland Community Planning Services will conduct a Police Information check.