Manager of Environmental Services - City of Cold Lake
Manager of Environmental Services
Management / Administration
City of Cold Lake
Feb 12, 2023
Environmental Services Manager
With a population of approximately 16,000 Cold Lake is a city that offers a wealth of excitement, adventure and entertainment for all in any season. Hugging the southern shores of Alberta’s seventh largest lake, this recreational paradise can be accessed in summer and winter through western Canada’s largest inland marina. New housing, excellent educational facilities, a multipurpose recreational facility and a college are just a few of the highlights that truly make Cold Lake a community of choice.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities:
The City of Cold Lake is seeking an enthusiastic and qualified individual to fill the full-time, permanent position of Environmental Services Manager within the Infrastructure Services Department.
Reporting to the General Manager of Infrastructure Services, the Environmental Services Manager is accountable for supervising employees and directing the day-to-day activities in the Water & Wastewater and Waste Management Departments. This position assumes leadership of financial, technical, and operational requirements, as well as program development, direction, management, maintenance, and operation of the City of Cold Lake’s Environmental Services. This includes the Wastewater Treatment Plant and wastewater and storm water collection systems, the Water Treatment Plant and water distribution system, and the collection and disposal of solid waste and the collection of recyclables within the City. The Environmental Services Manager manages all infrastructure related activities for the water, wastewater, and waste management systems in accordance with AESRD and other applicable regulations.
The City of Cold Lake is looking for a candidate who possesses exceptional multitasking skills and has the ability to successfully manage multiple projects. The incumbent must be able to remain open-minded and positive. The successful candidate must be trustworthy and able to deal with confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Diploma in Civil/Environmental Engineering, or University Degree in Engineering or related field,
- Be eligible to maintain a level of professional designation with APEGA as a P. Eng., or,
- A 3-year diploma in Civil or Environmental Engineering and registered as CET with ASET.
- Licensed to operate Class 2 water systems,
- A class 2 wastewater systems in Alberta Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with APEGA is an asset,
- Seven years’ professional experience is preferred,
- Experience working in a Municipal Government setting is considered an asset,
- The incumbent must have the ability to take on greater responsibilities, duties, and supervision of others,
- Have thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal and environmental engineering, and technologies, and considerable knowledge of recent regulations/developments in the industry,
- Being up to date on current literature and sources of information related to municipal and environmental engineering are an expectation of this position
- Strong technical and computer skills, strong negotiation skills, and a high level of leadership and teamwork skills,
- Alberta Landfill Operations Certification, Municipal Landfill experience, or certification with SWANA is considered an asset.
The City of Cold Lake provides a competitive compensation package to successful candidates, including an exceptional benefits plan, pension plan, and a variety of developmental opportunities.
Interested candidates, please submit a detailed resume including qualifications and past and present work experience. Please include a cover letter describing your experience and abilities with respect to the above listed qualifications, and copies of any relevant certifications. The City of Cold Lake appreciates receiving applications from all qualified individuals; however only those short-listed for an interview will be contacted. This competition will remain open until February 12, 2023.
Application Return Please submit Cover Letter, Resume, and relevant Certifications and Documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.coldlake.com/careers and apply on our website.