Development Services Senior Planner - City of Colwood
City of Colwood
Development Services Senior Planner
POSTING ID #: COC20221216_DSSP
POSITION TITLE: DEVELOPMENT SERVICES SENIOR PLANNER
DEPARTMENT: DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
POSITION TYPE: FULL TIME REGULAR, UNION POSITION
POSTING TYPE: INTERNAL/EXTERNAL
SALARY: Pay Grade #19 $54.84/hr (2022 rate)
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday between the hours of 8am – 5pm
BENEFITS: A comprehensive benefits plan as per the terms of the Collective Agreement
The City of Colwood is a spectacular seaside community set apart by its outstanding natural setting and exceptional quality of life. Located 25 minutes from downtown Victoria on the Westshore with nearly 19,000 residents, the City of Colwood is a great place to work where the daily tasks are anything but a grind when you are surrounded by a solid team and creative projects.
The City of Colwood has an opportunity for a FULL TIME REGULAR DEVELOPMENT SERVICES SENIOR PLANNER. This is a UNION position with CUPE, local 374. The successful incumbent will join our Development Services team and play a key role in supporting the City’s highly collaborative and integrative development review process. The City provides an opportunity to work on a range of planning applications and projects involving:
- Supporting the development of the Colwood waterfront through urban design, ecological protection, and creating innovative places for residents and visitors;
- Protecting Colwood’s natural areas while connecting people with nature through watershed scale planning and development to provide family friendly neighbourhoods and housing choices; and
- Implementing the Official Community Plan vision for the City’s Transit Growth Areas, Mixed Use Employment Centres, Seaside Village, and Colwood Corners through innovative urban design, prioritizing pedestrians and transit over vehicles, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Reporting to the Manager of Development Services, this is a senior professional role for an experienced planner working within a strong team of land use professionals. The position requires advanced land use planning and subdivision experience of significant complexity and variety, a high degree of independence, leadership and inter-departmental collaboration.
The Senior Planner is expected to advise Council from time to time, is responsible for assisting with corporate functions related to planning and land use and related matters and is responsible for assisting the Manager in the coordination of subdivision activities. This position requires a significant level of strategic thinking and the ability to consistently make sound judgement on decisions that may have significant consequence for the City and larger community.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A university degree (Masters is preferred) from a recognized institution in a related field (urban planning, geography, environmental science, architecture, engineering).
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience in a local government setting in British Columbia, preferably in a role that supported the Approving Officer function; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certified Member (RPP) is preferred or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners and Planning Institute of British Columbia.
- Completion of the MATI Statutory Approving Officer Course is considered an asset.
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is an asset.
A complete job description is available at www.colwood.ca/careers (Under Review)
Using the subject line POSTING ID# COC20221216_DSSP, please submit your resume and cover letter, in confidence, to Yazmin Hernandez, Manager of Development Services at email@example.com.
A review of interest will begin on January 9, 2023. * Extended until February 9, 2023.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to participate in a skills assessment exercise as part of the interview process.
Full Job Description